Mustang wine help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fermator

Reaction score
I am making some mustang wine for the first time I'm using jack kellers recipes for the most part the 5 gallon recipes. my ph is 2.96 before fermentation should I raise ph before primary fermentation or after the bottle of calcium carbonate I have says add before fermentation the jack Keller recipe is after. Is the main purpose for taste or fermentation purposes. Also I did a search on here and some people had some bad luck with mustangs but I've seen other people claim that mustangs make a good wine. Anyone have any good luck and have any pointers. I know they are acidic and to wear gloves.

I've brewed lots of beer but this is my first wine it seems there's not as much concern for infection is it because of the acidity? You don't hear a lot about sanitizing in wine making like I did when learning how to brew.

the ph of wine prohibits bacterial activity consequently sanitizing is not as critical as in beer making. it still is wise to develop a sanitizing solution of kmeta and spray everything that touches the wine. I use about 3 grams of potassium metabisufite(k-meta) and 11 grams citric acid to one gallon of water for my solution. put it in a spray bottle and use as required.

It is better to make your large acid adjustments prefermentation, just don't go overboard, take it easy, add small amounts and measure after thorough stirrings. If you need to adjust for taste later, the small adjustments are easily accomplished. If you're not planning MLF, raising your pH a few tenths should be really easy..

Probably talking to myself but it’s been about 6 months since I made a few batches of mustang wine and between the rocket fuel flavor the added sugar gives along with the tartness from the mustang I will have no problem letting this bottle age for a year or longer!

Here I am 2 years later I’ve been drinking the mustang wine and a mead I made that year. It’s true what they say gets better with time. It is phenomenal. Good luck to all new guys just know you are in for the long haul but at the end you will have something priceless that you cannot buy at the store.

Latest posts

Back