Must temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttaje16

Junior
Reaction score
I pitched the yeast for a batch Merlot and Cab 2 nights ago and would like the temp to get up to 86° then bring it down a bit to finish to extend the fermentation. What does everyone use as their "temperature"? The cap is obviously warmer, so is that the temp taken or once everything is mixed?

I pitched the yeast for a batch Merlot and Cab 2 nights ago and would like the temp to get up to 86° then bring it down a bit to finish to extend the fermentation. What does everyone use as their "temperature"? The cap is obviously warmer, so is that the temp taken or once everything is mixed?

I use one of the laser pointer temperature guns, shoot it at the side of the fermenter from a few inches away, generally the lower portion of the fermenter.

I got the exact same one!
I am also using my BBQ probes in each bucket, it runs on Bluetooth and I can check the temp right on my phone. Have alarms set incase it gets too warm.

You do need it! this gun is the absolute best and you will never have to fuss over reading temps again. I have that exact gun @Johnd linked up from amazon. 4 years old & still works perfect. Depot sells em for $100. Cant go wrong with amazon.

Either that or don't even bother reading the tempos, which is what I do. I gets to the max it gets to and since I am fermenting in my basement it won't get too hot.

Either that or don't even bother reading the tempos, which is what I do. I gets to the max it gets to and since I am fermenting in my basement it won't get too hot.
Still very convenient regardless if paying much attention to fermentation temps or not imo. For Hydrating yeast. Or cold grape/juice must warming up— the Temp is my clock. And for so cheap it’s a great tool to have.

You do need it! this gun is the absolute best and you will never have to fuss over reading temps again. I have that exact gun @Johnd linked up from amazon. 4 years old & still works perfect. Depot sells em for $100. Cant go wrong with amazon.
It will be here Saturday!

I have the same one. Bought it to check the temp of my pizza oven and now it doubles as my wine thermometer. I clicked on the link from JohnD and it says I purchased in August 2018 for $18.99!

Seems like folks may have gotten off the topic but what I do is ferment all my wines in incubators made from rigid foam insulation - just tape panels together with duct tape. I use an Inkbird thermostat and set it for 81 degree until primary is over than then down to 75-77 for MLF - works fine for reds. I have a second one that i use fro whites and set temp in low 60's until primary done. hope this info helps

Seems like folks may have gotten off the topic but what I do is ferment all my wines in incubators made from rigid foam insulation - just tape panels together with duct tape. I use an Inkbird thermostat and set it for 81 degree until primary is over than then down to 75-77 for MLF - works fine for reds. I have a second one that i use fro whites and set temp in low 60's until primary done. hope this info helps

Trying to follow but not understanding your setup——Could you please elaborate a little?-

what is your inkbird thermostat actually hooked up to? What specifically is doing the cooling (and/or heating)? “Incubator” can be sort of an umbrella term. Thanks

sorry it's not real clear. what i do is make a four sided box with a top that sits on my garage floor - front side flips up for access to incubator. the inkbird thermostat is plugged into a board that i made up with three 60 watt bulbs that provide the heat. i'll try to take a few pics and post tomorrow

I have used a gun in the past. I really don’t trust them since they are reading surface temp. Use a probe thermometer and compare. It will be different.

Latest posts

Back