Must/Pomace

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was invited by a friend to come to a local vineyard today. He said they were crushing the grapes and I should bring a bucket if I wanted some Must. I thought to myself, great, I would love a bucket. When I got there, they were in full swing crushing. Then the owner pointed to a huge pile of skins and stems and said,”help yourself to the Must”. Am I crazy or don’t I really know what Must is. I was expecting to leave with 5 or 6 gallons of juice.

I would agree though if they were pressing reds for rose, you could make a second run that would be quite good. If white, no.

I would agree though if they were pressing reds for rose, you could make a second run that would be quite good. If white, no.
Yes reds. They mentioned this was a third pressing and making water wine. A term I am not familiar with. When I questioned the process for water wine the answer was add sugar and water to the skins and stems and let it ferment on its own. Just sounds so crazy. This particular vintner and owner of the vineyard’s name is Steve Casscles. A lawyer and apparently someone who has written books and laws pertaining to winemaking in NYS. Anyone familiar with him?

I know Steve. He is a great guy and one of the most knowledgeable hybrid viticulturists in the country. He was making a third run so there wasn’t anything left in the skins.

You should get to know him. He is a gold mine of information. Were you at his home vineyard?

I know Steve. He is a great guy and one of the most knowledgeable hybrid viticulturists in the country. He was making a third run so there wasn’t anything left in the skins.

You should get to know him. He is a gold mine of information. Were you at his home vineyard?
I have no argument there. He seems to be very knowledgeable and unconventional at the same time. Yes I was at his home vineyard.

I have some of his Pallmer vines and a few other rare varieties. I met him in 2019 to learn about Chelois and Baco Noir. He made some good recommendations for my vineyard. I have his first book and have been reading it closely as I harvest and start my wines. I’d like to go back for another visit!

I have some of his Pallmer vines and a few other rare varieties. I met him in 2019 to learn about Chelois and Baco Noir. He made some good recommendations for my vineyard. I have his first book and have been reading it closely as I harvest and start my wines. I’d like to go back for another visit!
Small world.

If it has fermented it is useless

If it hasn't fermented flood the pomace with just enough water to flood it together with pectic enzyme let it soak for 48 hours, press it and adjust the SG to ferment as a dark rose. Adjust the acid after it ferments.

Latest posts

Back