Must has come up through air lock and is on top of plastic bucket lid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndd1

Reaction score
I am trying to make some wine using Welch's Grape Juice and when I woke up this morning it had overflowed through my airlock on top of the plastic lid. The Yeast was added about 36 hours ago. It looks like I am going to have to transfer some of this must into another bucket with an airlock. How should I do this? Do I need to sprinkle some more yeast into the bucket that I transfer it to or just mix up what is already in the bucket that overflowed and then transfer and airlock. Can you add too much yeast?

I would sanitize a pitcher of sorts and dip the excess must to another primary or better yet, simply pour from one into the other; oxygen at this point won't hurt. Good rule of thumb is to never fill a primary more than 3/4 to allow for expansion. Clean and sanitize your airlock and bucket top and you should be good to go.

I would sanitize a pitcher of sorts and dip the excess must to another primary or better yet, simply pour from one into the other; oxygen at this point won't hurt. Good rule of thumb is to never fill a primary more than 3/4 to allow for expansion. Clean and sanitize your airlock and bucket top and you should be good to go.
After I popped the lid and stirred it, it went back down. Should I just stir the primary a couple of times a day rather than once every 24 hours and leave it be?

After I popped the lid and stirred it, it went back down. Should I just stir the primary a couple of times a day rather than once every 24 hours and leave it be?
Since this is just liquid That might work. If you start making wine with more solids (fruit or grapes) you will need to leave a lot more space as they often froth a lot!

I usually stir twice a day… three times on weekends. How close is it to the top of the bucket? Also, you don’t need to seal the bucket and use an airlock during primary fermentation. Some just cover the container with a towel. I use the lid but don’t snap it closed.

Once the fermentation slows and your SG is approaching 1.000 you can transfer to a carboy and add the airlock.

Agree, don't seal the lid. Everything is going through the airlock because there is no place else to go. Leaving the lid just sitting on top of the bucket lets gasses escape. I don't think you will have to transfer any out unless you have it filled really close to the top.

I don't think that I will have to transfer because it was the froth. I have plenty of headspace in the 5 gallon bucket. Thanks, I will loosen the lid as both of you have suggested. I also have a 1 gallon glass jug of this batch fermenting. Does the primary need to ferment in the dark or does it matter?

I aim to have 1/3 or more air space to be sure it doesn't overflow and I leave it without an airlock and the lid on loose. It doesn't need to ferment in the dark.
I have always been told keep it out of sunlight at all times. Perhaps it’s not an issue since primary fermentation is fast compared to secondary fermentation, bulk and bottle aging.

I have always been told keep it out of sunlight at all times. Perhaps it’s not an issue since primary fermentation is fast compared to secondary fermentation, bulk and bottle aging.
I do for bottle storage, but not for fermentation. My fermentation space is in my kitchen and storage in the basement.

I don't think that I will have to transfer because it was the froth. I have plenty of headspace in the 5 gallon bucket. Thanks, I will loosen the lid as both of you have suggested. I also have a 1 gallon glass jug of this batch fermenting. Does the primary need to ferment in the dark or does it matter?
I learned a while back that just using a clean cloth to cover the bucket instead of the lid works best. No need for an airlock until fermentation is near the end. While the froth may touch the cloth, no harm in that. The cloth should be big enough to fasten it around the outside of the fermenter with a bungee or similar cord. The bubbles rapidly deflate and any liquid goes back into the mix.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I think everyone had an overflow early on. One of my first ferments overflowed and I was so tickled because it was obviously working.

Regular household lighting generally isn't a problem. Like ChuckD said, direct sunlight is bad. It's actually a very good natural disinfectant and can be used instead of bleach. It will kill E. coli in water 12 feet deep. Doctors and hospitals used sunlight a lot before Big Pharma took over.

Latest posts

Back