Must Finally Arrived

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
Just got started thawing and preparing 11 pails of must. There are 9 pails of Sonoma Cab and 2 pails of Sonoma Petite Verdot; the Cab has very small berries. They'll be dumped into the vat and co-fermented with DV10 and Lallzyme EX-V. The combined starting numbers are 24.4 brix, TA 6.8g/l, PH 3.36, YAN 80ppm. The must nutrient level is fairly low, so I'll be using Superfood with additional DAP. I sulfited the 45F pails today at 30ppm, so I'll probably get them into the vat tomorrow and turn up the heat and pitch the 2gal yeast starter I made today.

Cab must.jpg

By the evening the temperature was up to 55F in the pails, so I added 150ppm Lysozyme, and then added the yeast starter to all of the pails. I'll sleep better knowing it's all set, and I'll dump them in the morning.

Starter.jpg

I'm curious why you are using lysozyme. Are you worried about lactobacillus at this point? It may delay your MLF.

Last edited:
You're correct, I'm trying to minimize lactobacillus growth at this stage, just a little insurance. I've done this several times before without MLF delay, it's a fairly low dose. The enzyme wont be active for long with all of the tannins being released. I'll post a few pictures here shortly once I get the must into the vat.

Everything is in the vat and already seeing some activity. Warming it up a bit with warm water on the jacket. I included a shot of the homemade temperature controls, nothing complicated, it just turns on and off a hot water heating element inside the pipe section while water circulates past, it's controlling only the temperature of the water flowing through the kettle jacket. For cooling I just shut off the heat and throw ice into the water bucket and let that circulate through the jacket.

Vat.jpg

Temp control.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious why you are using lysozyme. Are you worried about lactobacillus at this point? It may delay your MLF.

I don't understand..... Where does it say it has this effect? I have been using it for years and performing successful mlf...

Lallzyme EX-V is an enzyme designed for use on premium red wines that are destined for long aging. Premium reds will benefit from the use of this enzyme tremendously, as it will result in a more structured wine, with deep, stable color.

Lallzyme EX-V is a pectinase with cellulase and hemicellulase side activities for red wines intended for aging. it has a specific action on both grape cell walls and cell membranes. This action allows for a complete and rapid release of anthocyanins and a more efficient release of tannins, leading to stable anthocyanin-tannin bonding. The end result of this bonding is a more structured wine, with a deep stable color that will last throughout its years of aging. Aromatic profile analysis indicates that Lallzyme EX-V increases the release of aromatic compounds while respecting the varietal characteristics of the grape.

Different enzyme, we were talking about Lysozyme. It is used for killing certain types of bacteria, I just use it to help clear the slate, this includes all Lactic Acid Bacteria Pediococci, Lactobacilli and Oenococci. Microbes can propagate easily depending on conditions during the thawing of frozen must. I use it once at low dose in the beginning, and again right after the ML is complete.

I got lucky and was in the right place at the right time. It's a used commercial jacketed kettle I purchased 10 years ago during the sale of a local business. At the time, there were a few other units available that were too large for my purposes. I built the temperature control and heating unit myself using standard materials, I can describe that if needed. I'll be doing a rack and return and will post a few other pictures soon.

Drained all of the free run from the bottom valve and allowed the cap to drip drain for about 15min, then dumped the free run back into the vat. The third shot is what the cap looked like after the free run was drained. Temperature 67F, still 23.9 Brix.

Draining.jpg

Free Run.jpg

Cap.jpg

Nice looking fruit! I know that stuff is not cheap. Any concerns about the starting pH being so low?

Not at all, I like the starting PH to be a bit low, it keeps the microbes in check at these early stages, it will rise by the time the skins are extracted of potassium(lots of skin) and the MLF finishes. I wouldn't be surprised if it hits 3.65 by the time it's all over. The Petite Verdot has larger berries, but the Cab was very small, looked more like blue berries. A group of us purchased maybe 50 pails or so, not many options where I live.

You guys are talking about Chicago. I don't know if you live in Illinois or the Midwest, but ; in Sept-Oct there are many opportunities to obtain or pick your own wine grapes. Both red and white varieties. Higher quality and less money than the frozen buckets.

Doing 2 complete drain and returns each day, getting about 35gal free run at this point, brix 15, wine 75F, cap 82F. I hope you don't mind, just posting a few photos for fun.

Free run 2.jpg

15 brix.jpg

Cap2.jpg

What caught my eye early on was the must looks like whole berries and absolutely no sign of a single stem or leaf like the grapes were sorted and destemed on an optical sorter almost. Did they come that way or did you pick through and remove them all? Very unique setup for sure although draining 35G into buckets and pouring it all back on top twice a day sounds like ALOT of work. I am sure the finished product will be amazing.

Latest posts

Back