Muslin vs. bed sheet cloth

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intheswamp

Reaction score
South Alabama - The Enchanted Land of Humidity
Muslin has a good bit lower thread count than bed sheet cloth has. Apparently the muslin will let more oxygen through than the bed sheet but is it a big enough difference to warrant going out and buying new muslin? I've got old bed sheet material on hand. ???

ETA: This is to be used for covering fermenting buckets, just to be clear.

Last edited:
Use what ya got. I went with muslin cause we had no 'qualified' bed sheets. I went with the plainest i could find Unbleached, not permanent press, not colored, etc.

I would prefer to use a sheet or muslin or some smooth cloth over a towel just to avoid cleaning issues. I can rinse piece of sheet or muslin in sanitizer, wring it out and lay it over a bucket wet and no worries about dripping or sagging down into the bucket but... that's getting nit noy.

I think only the finest Egyptian cotton will do. Or the finest silk from China. Even medieval tapestries have been used. But if I were you, I'd only settle for the Turin Shroud. I mean, it's wine, afterall.

Seriously, any cloth product whether it's towels, sheets, muslims, diapers, cheese cloth or tyvek house wrap will work fine. Use grandma's quilt. It will also work fine. Garbage bags work fine. There are an infinity of things you already own, that will work fine.

If you're talking buckets, just use a lid made to fit.

My point is, this is a diversion from the reality, not a serious problem. I just use the trash can lids my fermenters come with. I used sheets once, realized they were not needed and just used loose fitting lids, that conveniently, came with the cans.

Latest posts

Back