Muslin Bag Sanitizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcourcy

Junior
Reaction score
I’m making a kit wine that has grape skins (1st time making a kit with skins) and it says to sanitize using a sulphite/sorbate solution. Can I use Star San for sanitation or do I need to make a sulphite/sorbate solution? I’ve also read that I should boil the muslin bag before sanitizing. Any help would be appreciated

You can certainly use StarSan for all of your sanitation needs.

I personally see no need to sanitize the muslin bag, but, if you choose to do so, you can use sulfite OR StarSan OR boiling.

Now you have me curious: Did the kit really specify sulfite/sorbate, and not just sulfite? I cannot imagine what the sorbate is for in this application; possibly they only supply sulfite with sorbate in kits these days, and the specification is made in deference to that fact?

I’m making a kit wine that has grape skins (1st time making a kit with skins) and it says to sanitize using a sulphite/sorbate solution. Can I use Star San for sanitation or do I need to make a sulphite/sorbate solution? I’ve also read that I should boil the muslin bag before sanitizing. Any help would be appreciated
IIcourcy, I use nylon straining bags which I first boil in water for 20 min., then soak in k-meta: shake, add fruit and tie closed. I would assume the same technique with muslin.........................Dizzy

"IIcourcy, I use nylon straining bags which I first boil in water for 20 min., then soak in k-meta: shake, add fruit and tie closed. I would assume the same technique with muslin.........................Dizzy"

That's really overkill. Your bags will probably last a lot longer if you just sanitize with K-Meta. or Star-San.
In wine making sterilization is not needed, the conditions in the wine must will protect from spoilage if the must is properly prepared.
Sanitization (99% Bacteria kill) is all that's needed, that extra 1% is not really worth the effort in time / materials.

"IIcourcy, I use nylon straining bags which I first boil in water for 20 min., then soak in k-meta: shake, add fruit and tie closed. I would assume the same technique with muslin.........................Dizzy"

That's really overkill. Your bags will probably last a lot longer if you just sanitize with K-Meta. or Star-San.
In wine making sterilization is not needed, the conditions in the wine must will protect from spoilage if the must is properly prepared.
Sanitization (99% Bacteria kill) is all that's needed, that extra 1% is not really worth the effort in time / materials.
Hi Scooter, yes I am aware of the "overkill" aspect, but that is how I roll! I have done alot of remodeling/construction on my properties, and it is a running joke with my main carpenter that my middle name is overkill, so it doesn't surprise me that I would apply that same concept to winemaking! LOL...............Dizzy

Latest posts

Back