Muscadines and lots of them.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hdsae60

Reaction score
I have 30 lbs of muscadines and would like to have a good batch of wine. Should I cook them before I try the primary ferment and what temp? I was thinking like 150F for ten min's.

To obtain the juice, I suggest you freeze them first and then put them in a paint strainer bag and crush them with a clean piece of wood.

No need to boil, like Olusteebus said just freeze then crush. Be sure to use a pectic enzyme to help break it down.

As the prior gentlemen state- freeze till your ready to process.
Do a search for Muscadines in "the Grapes for Wine" section and you should come up with some helpful information.
One of the things I found is that many recommend using ten pounds per gallon.
Cheers, and welcome to the forum.
Tony...

I'm trying something different this year. I crush them first, then freeze them. A one gallon freezer bag will hold 5 lbs of muscadines, if you crush them first the freezer bag will hold 6 lbs, not a big advantage unless you have lots of muscadines. Thought about freezing the juice and hulls seperate, may try that next year if this works out.
Semper Fi

I got them in the freezer

Why do some say to heat them to 150F before primary ferment?

Maybe they don't have any kmeta and their trying to kill any wild yeast?

I hate to say but I don't know. They were given to me with a subtle hint she would like a few bottles of wine in return. They were small and purple just as you find in the wild.

Back