Muscadine won't start

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB

Reaction score
I bought a 1 gallon jug of muscadine cider from the farmers market two weeks ago. Added enough sugar to get an SG of 1.110 and one half tsp of yeast energizer and nutrient. Used about 1/4th of a brand new pack of Red Star Pasteur Red yeast. After a week and half, nothing had happened so I added a little more yeast. Just checked the SG again and it is still at 1.110. No movment in the air lock at all. No bad smell. Just nothing. It's now been exactly two weeks.

Any ideas before I chuck this out the back door? It's really bothering me that this one hasn't started.

What are the ingredients? Any preservatives? Did you proof the yeast?

Muscadine juice, water, sugar, citric acid, erythorbic acid, and sulfaites. It has been pasteurized. Container says it has 60% juice.

I did not proof the yeast but have used several other packets that were purchased at the same time and all have been kept in the fridge. Have not experienced this long of a delay in starting with anything I've done so far but have made many rookie mistakes. Thought I had done everything right with this one.

The sulphite preservatives might be more than the yeast can overcome. I've done apple cider that was treated with potassium sorbate and had no issues.

I'd take Mud's thought and use the rest of the packet to make a starter...maybe with some OJ or just some sugar water....get it going really good and dump it in.

The sulfites is what's got you. You might try agitating it aggressively like shake the hell out of it. Work a lot of air into it and you may be able to reduce the sulfite level.

Like said above, make a good starter and slowly add some of that must to the starter a little at a time until it is triple in size and dont add any until its going good each time. Have you checked the sg of the must since as it really could have fermented fast and you didnt even notice.

Yes. Checked SG before posting today. Still at 1.100

I have made up a bottle of sugar water (one cup sugar / enough water to desolve) added one half tsp of yeast energizer and nutrient and the yeast. Will let this get going (hopefully theres nothing wrong with the yeast) and then follow the suggestions you've posted.

Thanks for all suggestions.

One more question....If my SG is already at 1.110, and I'm adding another cup of sugar with the starter. Won't this make it more like jet fuel than wine?

I dont think you needed a cup of sugar, I just use like a cup of Orange juice or grape juice or some juice that is similar to what I am making so some Welche's probably would have been fine for this. What is the sg of the starter you are making, you want that to be easy to ferment not cause a problem with that also!

Back