Muscadine wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dg1653

Junior
Reaction score
I started my first batch of muscadine wine today. After processing the grapes, adding the sugar, and adding water to get the ph right i had a nice rose colored must. but after adding 1 teaspoon per gallon of yeast nutrient, 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of pectic enzyme, and 1/16 teaspoon per gallon potassium metabisulfite the must turned to a grayish color. is this normal? thanks

That will go away. What is this a 1 gallon batch?
recipe...

The K-meta causes the color change but don't worry about it, the color will return as the muscadine skins are broken down by the pectic enzyme.

It is a little low but it depends on whether you're using the liquid (which is concentrated) or the powder. The normal dosage for a 5gal batch is 1/4tsp of the liquid, don't know about the powder as I only use the liquid.

i transferred the must into a carboy today. it has been in there for about 4 hours and im not getting any air bubbles in the airlock. i checked the sg yesterday and it was at 1.020, i would check the sg today but my 4 year old somehow got his hands on my hydrometer and broke it. is it common for the must to stop fermenting after it is transferred into the carboy? also the must fermented in the primary for 6 days before i tranferred it today.

It didnt stop just slowed down. Get a replacement ASAP. You can leave it in the carboy for a week or 2 before you get a new hydrometer then ck gravity. Is this a kit?

They can sometimes slow way down or sometimes speed things up by transferring. Ive seen it stop before due to leaving too much viable yeast behind and this could have happened to you but worry as of yet cause its too early to tell.

It didnt stop just slowed down. Get a replacement ASAP. You can leave it in the carboy for a week or 2 before you get a new hydrometer then ck gravity. Is this a kit?

i ordered a new one today, it should be here in a few days. Also this is not a kit.

They can sometimes slow way down or sometimes speed things up by transferring. Ive seen it stop before due to leaving too much viable yeast behind and this could have happened to you but worry as of yet cause its too early to tell.

i did leave alot of the yeast behind, i figured it would have enough to keep fermenting. should i add more yeast?

Latest posts

Back