Muscadine Wine Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dg1653

Junior
Reaction score
i am going to make my first batch of muscadine wine. i want a sweet wine but im not exactly sure how to get it. my plan is to start with a sg of 1.120 and let it ferment to 1.020. my question is will this work and also how can i make the must stop fermenting when it reaches this number. thanks and any info is very appreciated.

The surest way to achieve your objective is to start with a S.G. of 1.090 and allow the wine to ferment to dryness. After which you will add K-meta-1camden tblt/gal. and sorbate-1/2tsp/gal. Allow to clear and transfer to a container for sweetening. Sweeten to your taste and bottle.

The surest way to achieve your objective is to start with a S.G. of 1.090 and allow the wine to ferment to dryness. After which you will add K-meta-1camden tblt/gal. and sorbate-1/2tsp/gal. Allow to clear and transfer to a container for sweetening. Sweeten to your taste and bottle.

Ok, so i'm guessing the sorbate will kill the yeast and prohibit further fermentation. can i use potasssium metabisulfite in place of the sorbate? also what does the camden tablet do? thanks for your help..

Pot. Meta. is campden in tablet form which is also just known as K-meta. You need to add that along with sorbate to prevent refermentation. One without the other is not good! Sorbate is a 1 time addition but k-meta is a 3-4 month addition if aging in carboy to prevent oxidation. K-meta dissipates over time and sorbate does not. Starting with a very high sg is not recommended as it can back fire and stop very sweet or ferment way beyond what you wanted and produce too much abv. Do as Sacalait stated as it was god advice.

Hey Wade thanks for the accolades but I'm not into "Godly" advice. hehehe

Heheheh I just saw that too Dave...

Do we call you your Holiness?

Allie::

Latest posts

Back