Muscadine/scuppernong recipes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxsteve625

Reaction score
I found a Muscadine vineyard about 20 minutes from me and the grapes will be ready sept to oct. I went to visit on Sunday but I think I got there at lunch time and no one was around. (should have called first) The plants and grapes looked really healthy. Anyway, I hear they make excellent wine. There are numerous varities and doing a web search I have found a couple of receipes but was wondering if anyone on this forum has any. Comments on this wine would also be appreciated. I notice there was a senior member named Muscadine on here but a post search revealed he hasn't been on line since 07.

Steve

BTW...If anyone is interested it is Blackwater Vineyards in rural Virginia Beach.

Damm, could get those grapes a little closer to Pennsylvania? Get the grapes, I never made a muscadine wine but I buy it every time I go visit my stepson. You are going to love it. I think Jack Keller has a recipe on his site for a muscadine wine. And I believe the person whose name was Muscadine is still here but he changed it something else.

I am thinking about making two 30 gallon batches from two differnt varities. There is a Poly drum reconditioner here in town and price is pretty damn reasonable. By the way, Julie Thanks for the Wedding wine tips as my daughters wedding wines went over very well.

Steve

How much are those drums and what the company. I will have at least 500+ lbs of a red grape of some sort that I will be getting around the end of the month. Those would be great to put the grapes in.

BTW the grapes I will be getting come from right out on the border of NC and VA, but are located in VA. I dont know the type just yet but the guy said I could come out at any time to see what they are. I just haven't gone out there yet. Its right off the new expressway headed to Moyock.

Where is that blackwater vineyards located?
Seems like I have seen that name before somewhere.

pwrose

The company is Bock Drum located off of Cleveland Street in Va Beach. Last 55 gallon poly drum I got from them (unconditioned) I paid 10.00. I believe a reconditioned (cleaned) 55 gallon drum is 20.00. I will go by there today and see how prices are.

Where are you in NC. I may want to get some honey from you.

I am near Edenton in Tyner. However I work in Portsmouth on the Coast Guard Base, well I should say I'm in the Coast Guard stationed in Portsmouth. My inlaws live over in VA BCH off of Kempsville so I could bring it up if you want some. I currently have 1lb jars of Clary Sage honey at work with me. How much are you looking for?

.... Julie Thanks for the Wedding wine tips as my daughters wedding wines went over very well.

Steve

Glad it all worked out for you. I still get compliments from a lot of people on how much they really liked the idea of serving home wines and the wines themselves.

I found a Muscadine vineyard about 20 minutes from me and the grapes will be ready sept to oct. I went to visit on Sunday but I think I got there at lunch time and no one was around. (should have called first) The plants and grapes looked really healthy. Anyway, I hear they make excellent wine. There are numerous varities and doing a web search I have found a couple of receipes but was wondering if anyone on this forum has any. Comments on this wine would also be appreciated. I notice there was a senior member named Muscadine on here but a post search revealed he hasn't been on line since 07.

Steve
For a five gallon batch figure on 40-50lbs. Using the stronger tasting varieties (hunt, welder, ison, magnolia) you can go with the lesser amount.
6lbs sugar...shoot for a S.G. of 10.85
2gals. water
5tsp. yeast nutrient
"0" acid

Proceed as with any other recipe. When finished, back sweeten to taste.

BTW, I am the muscadine you referred to:br

So about 15 lbs per gallon of juice?
Would you leave the skins or not use them at all?

Dont mean to hi-jack but figured you might ask some of the same questions as well.

Sacalait makes an awesome Muscadine wine, I can attest to it. Funny thing is I have 1 last bottle of his in my fridge chilling right now for Friday eve.

Sacalait makes an awesome Muscadine wine, I can attest to it. Funny thing is I have 1 last bottle of his in my fridge chilling right now for Friday eve.
Wade, thanks for the accolade, enjoy the wine. I can say the same for yours and it's been gone and the bottles recycled.;)

Sacalait,

Thanks. I am trying to find out which varieties Blackwater has. I know they have a Fry and nine others. I am probably going to have to make another trip out there.

BTW I think you meant 1.085. haha

PW: I don't really know what type honey is best for a mead as I am still researching making a mead. I will PM you later and give you my phone number. My parents live right near the CG base in portsmouth and I can met you anytime to pick up some honey.

Steve

Different honeys will do better with certain meads. I have heard many people that make lots of mead say Tupelo honey is the best. I so far like the Orange blossom myself but truthfully havent tried many.

Sacalit

I just talked to Blackwater vineyards and was told that the grapes they have are Noble and Carlos. They say these are the grapes that are used for wine making in North Carolina. These will be ripe in another two weeks.

What is your opinion of these two grapes. I know the Noble is a red and the Carlos is a white.

I will also PM you in case you don't see the post.

Steve

I don't have those varieties but I've heard they make very good wine. If you have access to those you could probably use the lesser amount (40#) for a 5gal batch. Mine are almost finished, they'll be gone in about a week.

Are you talking about your grapes or the wine.

Blackwater opened today for U-pick but the Nobles and Carlos will be ready in another week or two. Either i can pick or they will pick them for me. Same price either way $1.50 per pound. if thats the case i may have them pick them for me. Of course i that take one of the processes out of the total picture.

My grapes are finished and I don't have carlos or noble but have heard they make good wine. 40#'s of those will make a 5gal batch, however at $1.50/lb it will be pricey. Ask Blackwater how they compare to cultivated varieties on an acid content basis. If they are higher in acid then you could cut back on the pounds used per gallon of wine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back