Muscadine/scuppernong recipes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RC 212 is what I'm currently using. . . I've been pleased with it so far.

Thanks Dude. Went to BlackWater yeserday and the Nobles and Carlos are just about ready. ONE MORE WEEK. They really look good. Also sampled some of ther eating grapes..Fry etc and they were really good. The owner was very clear that he did not want to sell the Nobles or the Carlos until they were ripe wine picking.

I bought 3 carlos vines and plan to put them in the ground today.

Congrartes on the Carlos. I am considering a batch of Carlos (white) and a batch of Noble (red). Unfortuantely I may be limited to the Nobles due to equipment/processing availability. We'll See. I am pretty excited about this adventure.

Yes, use pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient. Yeast energizer is what I use to give the yeast a boost on some sluggish batches but with muscadines I don't think it's necessary. As for the K-meta you definately want to use it. 80#'s of Noble will be plenty enough for a 10 gallon batch. What does your recipe look like?

Last edited:
I just took a Ph reading and it is low at 4.6. Should I increase or take another reading later.

I have 80 #'s crushed grapes, 4 gallons water, 10 tsp yeast nutrient and 2 tlbs of k-meta as of 9:00pm last night. looks and smells good however the clear juice has turned alittle brown from the k-meta.

Man...processing 80#s of grapes by hand is a JOB.

I'm getting to trigger happy:?

I also added 12 pounds sugar to aqire a starting SG of 1.085 as you suggested.

I hope that was a type-o on the K-meta, if not then you'll have a devil of a time trying to get it going. 1/2tsp would have been more like it. You didn't mention how much sugar was added or the S.G.

Personally, I wouldn't add acid to the mix.

I tried to make the corrections to the post before you got to it. see above.
I will not add acid. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Placing the fruit in paint straining bags makes the process much easier especially when it comes time to strain the fruit. Also, don't forget to punch down the cap 2-3 times daily. Good luck on your venture.

I would do a TA test to see where it is and if possibly you could get the PH more into range.

How long should I leave the grapes in the must before pressing?

Is there a specific formula or is it typically 4 to 7 days?

Steve

Here's an update:

Fermented 80#s in a 30 gallon primary on 9-28-10 at a SG of 1.070
Pressed and Transfered to a 15 gallon secondary on 9-23-10 at a SG of 1.008
1st rack on 10-2-10 into two 5 gallon carboys at SG of .995

One 5 gallon batch is clearing well at .990
Other 5 gallon batch not clearing as well at .990

Second five gallon batch was the last of the transfer from the 15 gallon secondary. There was however a problem with the bung not staying tight in the 2nd 5 gallon carboy

Tasted tonight and both 5 gallon batches seem taste identical except the second lacks a little less body/fruit flavor.

Wish I had pictures but seems strange that on 5 gallon seems to be doing better than the other from the same secondary.

Have not back sweetened or clarified at this point.

I was considering letting the wine settle a little before back sweetening and fining. There is no air space to mention.

Any comments or suggestions or am I fine?

Steve

A starting S.G. of 1.070 will only give you a 9.5% alc. content. You should shoot for 10.5-11% just for the preservation qualities. Getting below 10% "could" end up working against you. There is a balancing act here, a high alc. content is a good preservative but the lower alc. content will give you an earlier drinking wine with a fruitier flavor. A starting S.G. of 1.080-1.085 would be closer to what you want.

Of course this is just my personal preference but I'd reduce the the total volume from 15gals. to 10gals. You will end up with a wine with much more fruit flavor.

OK, I went back and looked at my notes and the adjusted starting SG was 1.080. The total qty of wine (finished) is is indeed only 10 gallons.

The primary was a 30 gallon fermentor with crushed grapes

Secondary was a 15 gallon fernmentor with pressed grapes

1st rack is 2 each 5 gallon carboys from the secondary. Very little lees

OK, how did it go?

How did it turn out? Did you bottle it or drink it from the carboys?

Latest posts

Back