Muscadine Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loner

Reaction score
I have a source (local winery) that will sell me juice for $10 bucks a gallon. Since I don't have to pick de-stem clean and press I think it sounds like a good deal to me. The guy mentioned I may want to add a small amount of water prior to ferment ?? What do you folks suggest ?

That does not sound like a bad price. Honestly, last muscadine I made with all juice came out perfectly fine without any water added. Many people like to add water to muscadine because some people believe it has a foxy or musky taste... I disagree, I love the taste of muscadines... But I grew up on them.

Will you be able to ferment on the skins? Is that something you would want to do?

Skins are not included but I have another source where I will get skins. If all works as planned I will do a six gallon with skins and another six and three gallon batches without.

Ahh, very nice! Perhaps you could compare the differences between using and not using the skins? And if needed blend them together?

$10 per gal of juice sure would save my back instead of picking them myself - but then what would I do with all the musc on my vines? Could leave them for the deer I guess! A source like that around here would be nice, but Jackson is too far. Oh well!

I dropped by the winery yesterday. Juice should be ready for pick up next Sunday. I also started a small batch with 10 gallons of dimes that a buddy gave me. The yeast is just taking off and it smells great. I have another five lbs in the freezer that will be the skins that I use with the new juice. I plan to do five gallons dry .. 5 sweet and 5 sweet with skins.

Bruce .. Just noticed your state .. The winery is in Natchez .. Not sure where in la you are. It could be closer than you thought.

That's right Gary .. I enjoyed a glass of their Sweet Noble last night. Very nice bunch of folks to deal with ... Nice source for bottles too.

well if it is not wild muscadines then the water addition isn't as bad, but if wild you almost need to add water cause of the acidity. I've done wines with nobles,carlos and a really nice small bronze variety(not sure of exact variety). Either way with noble I don't add much if any water, the other varieties though I normally do they seem to be really acidic otherwise.

Transferred my small batch to glass tonight. SG down to 1.010 .. RC212 is doing a good job.

image-735756057.jpg

Now that's a press ... It sure beats a five gallon bucket and a piece of 4by. Ready to get this juice home !

image-1425515139.jpg

I got the juice home (15) gallons and its resting nicely in the brute. I added sugar to bring the sg up to 1.085. The ph is 3.2 and acid as best I can tell is around 70. I gave it 7 teaspoons of pectic enzyme and will pitch yeast tomorrow. I plan to add bentonite around day 3 of the ferment. This is my first all juice wine. Do my numbers sound about right or am I overlooking anything ?

Transferred my small batch to glass tonight. SG down to 1.010 .. RC212 is doing a good job.

They color is very light, I fermented my Muscadine last year on the skins and it turned out a nice deep purple.

Actually Thig I did ferment on skins too .. Go figure. Mine is nowhere near a dark purple.

I run right by that winery in natchez quite often and have never stopped. i'll have to check them out this fall when I go up there to make food plots

That's not far off Bg7. Stop by and do their taste test. Mine was smelling good this morning when I pitched yeast.

Latest posts

Back