Muscadine and peach wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsmadness

A Wino and proud of it
Reaction score
I started my next batch of wine yesterday, muscudine and peaches. i used the juice only from 18 lbs of muscadines 5 lbs of very ripe peaches.10 lbs of sugar 3 gallons of water 2 tsp of pectic enzymes and 4 tsp of acid blend. og was 1.102 and must was really tasty of peaches. I pitched premeir culvee yeast today. ?Hope it turns out well, first time i made up my own recipe.

Let us know if you begin to smell an odor like rotten eggs. This is common and happens when there's a nutrient deficiency. It's usually not a big problem if caught early, but can become serious if allowed to continue more than a few days.

Fred

ive never used any nutreint in any of my wines, guy at hbs said i didnt really need it it just made fermentation faster. was he wrong, should i be worried?If I dont get smell will I be allright?

As long as you don't get the rotten egg smell, it'll be alright. However, my guess is you'll get H2S without nutrient.

I think your hbs guy was mistaken. Nutrient may speed fermentation a little, but its main use is for nutrient deficient, especially nitrogen deficient, musts. In my experience fruit wines are more inclined to develop H2S than grape wines because they are more likely to be nitrogen deficient.

My first experience with H2S was with a strawberry wine. Ever since, I've always added nutrient as a precautionary measure. Nutrient contains nitrogen, Vitamin B, and other nutrients.

I believe you'll find that most fruit wine people on this forum always use nutrient. Also, most people divide the dosage (usually 1 tsp./gallon) into two applications; first application on the second day of fermentation; second at about 1.040 s.g.

If you don't add nutrient, just be sure to keep your nose on alert for the smell and if you smell it, add it a.s.a.p.

Fred

Any must made by adding water (why did you add water ???) should have nutrients added.
There will be none in the water and the juice is dilluted too much.

So do yourself a favor and buy some nutrients and add them.

Luc

So how did the muscadine/peach wine come out? I've made muscadine and peach separately but have never combined them. I must say it sounds like it would be pretty tasty.

I started my next batch of wine yesterday, muscudine and peaches. i used the juice only from 18 lbs of muscadines 5 lbs of very ripe peaches.10 lbs of sugar 3 gallons of water 2 tsp of pectic enzymes and 4 tsp of acid blend. og was 1.102 and must was really tasty of peaches. I pitched premeir culvee yeast today. ?Hope it turns out well, first time i made up my own recipe.

Back