MSDS for Potassium Metabisulphite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Based on a current thread under discussion, I looked up this info on K Meta.

I searched Google for "Dangers of inhaling dust from Potassium Metabisulphite"

There were many searches returned for this info and obviously I couldn't link them all in here.

Here is a MSDS I found, this isn't to scare anyone, but to educate us all a little better on this one particular chemical almost all of us use in our wine making.

Troy

View attachment Potassium Metabisulphite.pdf

Thanks Troy, this is actually a great post and triggers an idea. We ought to find the MSDS of all known winemaking chemicals and post them here for download by the members. The member could then have them in their winemaking area not as much for themselves, but for others to review if incase there ever is some type of emergency and the winemaker is incapacitated. These documents do of course show the handler the proper methods to handle and store the chemical as well.

I don't know if you seen the thread I was refering to, but I became concerned because I recently convinced my LHBS to carry this in bulk. That means the average customer is using a scoop to get it out of the bucket. I e mailed them and suggested they( my LHBS) package it themselves into baggies while wearing a dust masks to prevent anyone from being injured.

but for others to review if incase there ever is some type of emergency and the winemaker is incapacitated.

MSDS are getting to be a very big part of life here in the USA. When I worked on the farm we had note books full of them. I know from our CERT team work that the first responders really depend on them.

I've instructed everyone here at my house that if they find the wine maker incapacitated,
just to undress me and put me to bed. I'll be alot better in the morning. :slp

Latest posts

Back