Moving the secondary container?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm moving in about a month. I would like to go ahead and start making a new batch of wine. My question is: would it be ok if I transported the secondary container in my car for 3 hours to move? I would remove the airlock and just seal it off from spilling. Of course I would keep the car cool. Will sloshing the wine around for 3 hours ruin it?

I wouldn't see any problem with moving it in fact shouldn't be a problem to leave the airlock in place during the trip

you can get a milk crate to sit the carboy in while transporting it also makes it easier to move around

In secondary, I don't think 3 hours would be a problem to move it. Sloshing would stir it up petty good, but if you let it set for several days afterward, I think it would do fine.

Just make sure you don't loose your stopper; I would duct tape it in place, as sloshing could cause some pressure to build up.

I agree with the milk crates. Also, try to use a flat surface in your vehicle. I recently moved approximately 25 gallons of wine when I moved. It wasn't as far as your trip, but I still doubt you will have any problems. I left the airlocks on.

I absolutely agree with the other posts, inside a milk crate with air lock in place. The milk crate might make it easier to place a seatbelt on it.

I do not believe I would seal it tight. Leave the airlock on. Mite get a little spill out of it, but if it decides to blow a sealed cap off, well wont be pretty. lol, Arne.

Back