Moving city during ageing process

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcas

Junior
Reaction score
Hello world!

Our fresh-grape shiraz is undergoing MLF in a carboy, but we're moving cities in 1.5 weeks at which time the wine will have been in the carboy for 2 months. Need your wise counsel to help decide if we:

1) Leave the wine in the carboy for a 9 hr drive to our new home and continue bulk ageing there.

OR

2) Bottle the wine for transportation. If we choose this option, I'd appreciate your thoughts as to if/when we should do the following (a) add bentonite to fine the wine (the wine hasn't had enough time to settle) and (b) add potassium metabisulfite.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Em

You are moving, so you dump it or haul it. It's going to be what it is going to be! I would wire or duct tape the bung in place, put the carboy in a heavy plastic bag, then put the whole thing in something strong like a milk crate, say two Hail Mary's and haul ***!

I suspect on moving day, the Shiraz is going to be pretty far down on your list. I would concerned that it didn't spill all over your nice white couch!

You are moving, so you dump it or haul it. It's going to be what it is going to be! I would wire or duct tape the bung in place, put the carboy in a heavy plastic bag, then put the whole thing in something strong like a milk crate, say two Hail Mary's and haul ***!

I suspect on moving day, the Shiraz is going to be pretty far down on your list. I would concerned that it didn't spill all over your nice white couch!

I second that! If you have the room to haul it, leave it in the carboys and secure it the best you can.

Hey Em, I just recently dealt with this issue myself. Though it was only a 1 hr drive. I had a 6,5,3 and x2 1 gal jugs to move to a new place. None were ready to bottle.
I timed the racking schedule with the move so I could rack and sulfite right before moving anticipating all the handling and shaking.
I took out the airlocks and taped the bungs as well.
Since we were moving we had boxes and bubble wrap on the ready, and Some carboys I bought new and had the boxes they came in. So I packed as best I could and loaded em up. Stuffing the bubble wraps in there so the wine had no wriggle room. My extra packing was probably overkill, but it all worked out.

Last edited:
Hello world!

Our fresh-grape shiraz is undergoing MLF in a carboy, but we're moving cities in 1.5 weeks at which time the wine will have been in the carboy for 2 months. Need your wise counsel to help decide if we:

1) Leave the wine in the carboy for a 9 hr drive to our new home and continue bulk ageing there.

OR

2) Bottle the wine for transportation. If we choose this option, I'd appreciate your thoughts as to if/when we should do the following (a) add bentonite to fine the wine (the wine hasn't had enough time to settle) and (b) add potassium metabisulfite.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Em

Were it me, the wine would ride shotgun in the temperature controlled environment of my car, seatbelted in with an available airbag, like any important passenger would.................

How about pouring/racking it in a 23L bucket with a snap lid that has the O ring gasket? Then put the bucket in a plastic milk crate with bubble wrap around it. Heck, it's only a 9 hour drive....it should be fine once you get to your new home. Just my opinion.....

Were it me, the wine would ride shotgun in the temperature controlled environment of my car, seatbelted in with an available airbag, like any important passenger would.................

Sounds about right! Id have the family riding in the trailer! Protect that wine!! lol...

Back