Other Mouton Cadet like kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time....
Reaction score
I recently rediscovered a white wine I loved in the 80's. Rothschild Mouton Cadet, Bordeaux. It was much more expensive back then! So, is anyone familiar with a wine kit which would be similar?

Last edited:
I believe that there are not a lot of kits that will fill your requirements. I'll take a shot, however. Take this all with a grain of NaCl.

Mouton Cadet is a right-bank Bordeaux blend, meaning it is Merlot dominant, with a minority of Cab. Sauv., typically. French wines tend to be exhibit more minerality compared to New World wines, which tend to exhibit more fruit.

There ARE some French Merlot kits available, like the RJS Cru Select French Merlot, so that may be a good choice. (I have no direct experience with this kit.)

To my palate, Washington state wines tend to be intermediate between California and France, in that they have a good deal of minerality. Still much more fruit IMHO than a French wine (which is why I prefer the Wash. wines!). Therefore, my second choice for you would be to get a Washington Merlot, or, better yet, a Washington Cab/Merlot blend (although these tend to be Cab-dominant). Cellar Craft offers both a Cab/Merlot blend (from Walla Walla) and a straight-up Merlot (from Yakima).

Good luck!

Last edited:
Paul, thank you for the thorough reply and explanation! The wine which I like is white, not red, so I should have mentioned that in my question. Any thoughts regarding the white? I agree with the fruitiness you mentioned, though, and I like that it is not sweet.

Winexpert Trinity White should be in the ballpark.

Just drinking a glass of trinity white right now! It's only been bottled a few days ago and should improve the flavour as it's a little mild atm, nice crisp and dry white and finished at 12.8%, kinda white anyone could drink.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back