mouse in vinegar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit that I learned about vinegar "eels" for the first time on this forum a few years ago. At the time, I noted something of a foible (in myself, but I suspect in many people): It does not bother me to eat a larger animal (say, a crab), and it does not bother me to eat a very small or microscopic creature (I dunno, say, plankton or even aphids on lettuce). But it bothers me to think about eating that intermediate scale creature like shown by @Scooter68 . :slp

Ah there is good news though. Most commercial vinegars are filtered and/or pasteurized to kill off those little critters. You might be eating a few 'body parts' but no live eels unless it's home-made vinegar that has not been "Purified." I remembered this from our 8th grade biology class in the 60s. The "eww" and GROSS - I'm never having vinegar again" comments flowed and a lot of us laughed too. Yah don't know what yah don't know.
By the way isn't alcohol the waste from our little yeast buddies - as the the equivalent of their..... pee?

Sorry, couldn't reisist. I might be wrong on that last one but... from what I've read....

Wow, I thought this thread was about some wine term I didn’t know, something like “wine diamonds”. Sorry I started reading it and then sorry I read every post, like rubber-necking at an accident.

I think I just discovered the name of my mouse pickling business.

"Canned White Diamonds"

Latest posts

Back