mouse in vinegar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh… I’m a realist. You would be shocked at the nasty unsanitary stuff that has ended up in your body without your knowledge. Just the stuff I know I have have accidentally ingested is pretty gross.
This is not a matter of unknowingly ingesting something and finding out later. The fact is @josephenoch found a dead mouse in his vinegar and he posted pictures to prove it.

The question that only he can answer still stands: Would he ingest the vinegar KNOWING that he found a dead mouse in it?

, , mrs RG says disgusting, has she ever had lutefisk?
a protein at pH 2 will not decompose, the normal problem is that molds will grow on a dry (floating) mat/ fiberous material in the presence of oxygen at pH 3. Material which is wetted (high water activity) will resist mold growth.
. . I know that the mouse had not started to decompose and break down because it's at the second wine stage.
An interesting press, looks like it tips sideways.

HUMM? the process of making wine is an effort to clean several types of material out of the grape or fruit , , , , , , , (cleaning is the essence of many industrial processes from creating meat to creating bread) , , , , , ,
* grapes or fruit as apple goes through a crushing / grinding operation and occasionally there is wild life in the fruit (more with mechanical picking/ less with more spraying)
* juice is pressed to remove the juice which does pretty well removing anything larger than 1/16 inch
* Juice has yeast added which removes sugars creating alcohol
The now young wine is aged to remove by gravity yeast and solids that are up to 5 micron range
* wine is aged to remove/ starve out live yeast
* wine is treated with clarifiers to remove small molecules as protein, tannin, pectin, other
There is no way I could use something, anything at all, knowing a mouse has been floating around in it for up to 3 weeks. Nope, not I.

Are you going to give up bread? industry has specifications which include how many rat hairs per kilo of flour,
Are you giving up hamburger? the dirtiest/ stinkiest plant I have been in was a slaughter house & packer?

just because we have machines removing or grinding the poop, the wildlife, the off color stuff, doesn't mean it is not still there at a low level in ALL grocery store purchased foods

The gross factor definitely changes depending on how far you are removed from said "adulteration". I know there is some tiny portion of bugs in my bagel and I'm eating it anyways. See a cockroach scamper across my bagel and it's in the trash! I think I would use vinegar if someone told me a mouse drown in it but was fished out during early fermentation... I look at those pictures and I can tell you if I fished that bugger out myself it would be a hard pass.

HUMM? the process of making wine is an effort to clean several types of material out of the grape or fruit , , , , , , , (cleaning is the essence of many industrial processes from creating meat to creating bread) , , , , , ,
* grapes or fruit as apple goes through a crushing / grinding operation and occasionally there is wild life in the fruit (more with mechanical picking/ less with more spraying)
* juice is pressed to remove the juice which does pretty well removing anything larger than 1/16 inch
The now young wine is aged to remove by gravity yeast and solids that are up to 5 micron range
* wine is treated with clarifiers to remove small molecules as protein, tannin, pectin, other

Are you going to give up bread? industry has specifications which include how many rat hairs per kilo of flour,
Are you giving up hamburger? the dirtiest/ stinkiest plant I have been in was a slaughter house & packer?

just because we have machines removing or grinding the poop, the wildlife, the off color stuff, doesn't mean it is not still there at a low level in ALL grocery store purchased foods

I think this is my favorite response.
I love the first one too.

Take a look at the little fuzzy guy.
He clearly is a healthy mouse.
You should see the squirrels around here.
They are giant!
Everything is pretty healthy around here.

I forgot to mention the time I made apple cider vinegar and I left all the big fat worms in the apples and rot pieces too.
I did not take anything out, and that turned out to be some of the best vinegar I made.

I also made mushroom tea this year and I boiled the Maitake mushrooms and found hundreds if not thousands of little worms.
Can you guess what I did???
I drank them all.

@Rice_Guy Say it isn't so!🤮🤣

AND another example, the USDA reciently put out a rule removing wooden boards in the cheese fermentation room ,,, since it transferred cultures that produced the high quality flavors which were OK for thousands of years.
Huh! And that is the reason for having wooden boards in the first place. I read cleaning guidelines from the Swedish food administration advising against cleaning all wooden boards at the same time as it would mean loosing the desired microflora.
Adding vinegar to a protein is a traditional method for preserving food, ex search out a vinegar based recipe for making herring out of fish, NO one does not have to cook/ reduce the bacterial load on the protein first. ,,,
I work in a company where we produce pickled herring and other pickled stuff and we clean the fish before brining it. The file gets pickled not the fish. Though there are fish products that gets picked without previous cleaning. Have you ever tried Surströming ? "During the production of surströmming, just enough salt is used to prevent the raw herring from rotting while allowing it to ferment. A fermentation process of at least six months gives the fish its characteristic strong smell and somewhat acidic taste.[2] A newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world, even stronger than similarly fermented fish dishes such as the Korean hongeohoe or Japanese kusaya.[3] "

I'm aware of some pickled meat products but none where the entire animal gets pickled.

, mrs RG says disgusting, has she ever had lutefisk?
So you know of this Nordic Christmas dish? It's "lutfisk" in Swedish, "lutefisk" is Norwegian. (lut=lye and fisk=fish)
@Rice_Guy Say it isn't so!🤮🤣
Yes, unfortunately he is correct. Pest control in food industry is a big problem.

And I agree with @Rice_Guy, as always, on the pH and taste questions.

Edit: Check this Surströming video (the cameraman is puking): (how bad can a mouse be ;-) )

Last edited:
it would be interesting to try surströmming, Humm I’ve only had food poisoning once on rawish catfish that I should have known, the texture was wrong.
I work in a company where we produce pickled herring and other pickled stuff and we clean the fish before brining it. The file gets pickled not the fish. Though there are fish products that gets picked without previous cleaning. Have you ever tried Surströming ? "During the production of surströmming, just enough salt is used to prevent the raw herring from rotting while allowing it to ferment. A fermentation process of at least six months gives the fish its characteristic strong smell and somewhat acidic taste.[2] A newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food .
,,So you know of this Nordic Christmas dish? It's "lutfisk" in Swedish, "lutefisk" is Norwegian.
,,Yes, unfortunately he is correct. Pest control in food industry is a big problem.
.? everyone was thinking that the galvanized boxes arround the silos were for decoration ?
and yes the wife comes out of a community that celebrates “settende mai”, ,,, but she‘s modern and only talks about what some aunts eat.

Making vinegar? Then you have "Eels" in that stuff. Well actually they aren't eels but little worms about 1/16" long and the are part of the process of making apple cider vinegar. Not sure if they are present in wine vinegar but for apple cider vinegar they are just part of the process. Mostly killed or filtered out during final processing but then again....

Making vinegar? Then you have "Eels" in that stuff. Well actually they aren't eels but little worms about 1/16" long and the are part of the process of making apple cider vinegar. Not sure if they are present in wine vinegar but for apple cider vinegar they are just part of the process. Mostly killed or filtered out during final processing but then again....

I did not know that. I'm going to have to take a closer look at my bottles. I drink that stuff almost every day. When I said that I cut up the worms I meant that I cut up the worms in the apples. Ya know those huge apple worms. That means there is an extra amount of meat in there if there are micro eels too.

Huh! And that is the reason for having wooden boards in the first place. I read cleaning guidelines from the Swedish food administration advising against cleaning all wooden boards at the same time as it would mean loosing the desired microflora.

I work in a company where we produce pickled herring and other pickled stuff and we clean the fish before brining it. The file gets pickled not the fish. Though there are fish products that gets picked without previous cleaning. Have you ever tried Surströming ? "During the production of surströmming, just enough salt is used to prevent the raw herring from rotting while allowing it to ferment. A fermentation process of at least six months gives the fish its characteristic strong smell and somewhat acidic taste.[2] A newly opened can of surströmming has one of the most putrid food smells in the world, even stronger than similarly fermented fish dishes such as the Korean hongeohoe or Japanese kusaya.[3] "

I'm aware of some pickled meat products but none where the entire animal gets pickled.

So you know of this Nordic Christmas dish? It's "lutfisk" in Swedish, "lutefisk" is Norwegian. (lut=lye and fisk=fish)

Yes, unfortunately he is correct. Pest control in food industry is a big problem.

And I agree with @Rice_Guy, as always, on the pH and taste questions.

Edit: Check this Surströming video (the cameraman is puking): (how bad can a mouse be ;-) )

I swear if anyone steals my idea... I'm going to sue.
Here it is.
I am going to start a pickled mouse business.
Pretty soon you'll be seeing canned pickled mice in the super markets around the world.
Tell me how easy it would be.
Just set up one of those fall away planks at the edge of the barrel and your work is done.
I must kill hundreds a year out here in the woods.
Who are these people complaining about a food shortage?

The other day I was reading an article in the online Swedish Newspaper, Svenska Dagbladet.

The article spoke about a fascinating discovery in the northern reaches of the Bottenviken or the Bay of Bothnia, between Finland and Sweden.

A group of archeologists had come across a remnant of an ancient ship.

Their research indicated it dated back to 800 A.D. and was of Swedish origin.

Most of it was severely-decomposed except for some pieces that resembled plywood.

Upon closer analysis the “plywood" it was determined to be pieces of dried, salted cod.

Once you hydrate these pieces of “salty plywood” with an aqueous solution of sodium hydroxide they then become Lutfisk. ☠️🇸🇪☠️ I dare say much more palatable than acetic acid flavored with the essence of rodent

Latest posts

Back