Mourvedre Single Varietal - best way to make?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsc_so_cal

Junior
Reaction score
Harvest season this year presented good sources for the Rhone varietals. I'm making a GSM blend with my first harvest. The vineyard with Mourvedre had beautiful fruit and a lot of it. Didn't want to pass up free grapes - so decided harvest a second batch and try my hand at making a single varietal Mourvedre. I've never made the wine - so was looking for some advice. Grapes were at 23.5 brix and PH of 3.49 (don't have TA). Crushed the grapes and have them soaking with SO2. Recommendations? Add oak chips to ferment? Enzymes for color extraction? Cold soak prior to ferment? Would appreciate any suggestions?

I wouldn’t add oak to ferment, but a cold soak is a good idea, buy some dry ice and put a bit of it in the bottom of the fermenting vessel about 1-2 scoops you don’t need a lot and on top and let it sit for 2-3 days that will help it cold soak, you will need to let it warm up after that to room temperature before you add the yeast or it will die. As for enzymes just opti red really I don’t like like to add a lot, I would also add fermaid k and a little extra DAP when you pitch your yeast just to be on the safe side and minimize risk of any issues.
What my boss at the winery I work at suggested to me for my home batch of Syrah is that you leave about 20-25% of the clusters whole at the bottom of the fermenter with the dry ice then add dry ice on top and add the rest of the must crushed and destemmed and then add dry ice on top of that and cold soak it. Might be a good technique for your wine.

Both options are interesting. I have a cold room that stays just below 60 deg and has worked for cold soak on other varietals without any ill effects. I had thought of possibly trying some of the juice as a Rose' add-in to my Grenache Rose' that I'm trying as well... Maybe I'll try that route. Thanks.

Back