Motorizing a manual destemmer/crusher

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillaVino

Reaction score
I’ve seen where people have motorized their crusher/destemmer but never have seen a Bill of materials for the conversion. I made the leap and ordered a motor. There are mounting brackets on my manual c/d so I think I’ll just have to fab a plate but need to know if people who have done this used a chain or a ribbed belt. Just looking for ideas. Thx

I thought about it myself, I just don't know who made mine and the only kits I've seen were for Grifos. I'm sure I could fabricate whatever is needed to make it work but a few things held me back. First I probably only crush 1200-1500 lbs a year and although I often times have help I could still do it myself. The second if doing it me self I can remove and replace it myself to clean. Doubt I could do that with the extra weight of the motor. Lastly, the motorized ones you buy also have an auger to help move the grapes. But to answer your question I don't think the belt has to be a chain or ribbed and you could probable find the size you need at an auto parts store.

I thought about it myself, I just don't know who made mine and the only kits I've seen were for Grifos. I'm sure I could fabricate whatever is needed to make it work but a few things held me back. First I probably only crush 1200-1500 lbs a year and although I often times have help I could still do it myself. The second if doing it me self I can remove and replace it myself to clean. Doubt I could do that with the extra weight of the motor. Lastly, the motorized ones you buy also have an auger to help move the grapes. But to answer your question I don't think the belt has to be a chain or ribbed and you could probable find the size you need at an auto parts store.
Thanks. I’ll be crushing/destemming about 2000lbs+ this year. Selling grapes to a local d*i*st*ll*ery but he does not have a means to crush/destem and press. My 80L bladder press will be working overtime this fall. 😁

I’ve seen where people have motorized their crusher/destemmer but never have seen a Bill of materials for the conversion. I made the leap and ordered a motor. There are mounting brackets on my manual c/d so I think I’ll just have to fab a plate but need to know if people who have done this used a chain or a ribbed belt. Just looking for ideas. Thx
I'm doing the same thing this year, I ordered the motor and Pulley wheel for the crusher side. I don't have a list yet, still waiting for the motor to arrive. Once I have the motor I was planning on fabricating a base mount bracket, with adjustable tensioner for the belt, I was planning on using a standard V-belt.
I expect to get started on the project next month. I'll take some pictures when I get started. This is a picture of my manual crusher/destemmer that I plan on motorizing. We are planning on another 3000 lbs of grapes this year, last year was a bit of work hand crushing 3000 lbsIMG_20170919_112645_593.jpg
MAC

I have a manual press that was motorized. I don't have any pictures without the guard and I'm not home to get some. Anyway, the motor was mounted on the side and a simple pully is attached to the stem. It was fast and easy to unhook.Crusher Destemmer II.jpgCrusher Destemmer.jpg

I have a manual press that was motorized. I don't have any pictures without the guard and I'm not home to get some. Anyway, the motor was mounted on the side and a simple pully is attached to the stem. It was fast and easy to unhook.View attachment 72076View attachment 72077

I posted earlier the motor would make it too heavy to clean by myself but never thought about removing the motor to clean. Nice job!

The motor also has a metal plate between it and the crusher - grounding I assume. The motorization was done by a VATech engineering professor.

The motor is heavy so we took it off for storage and moving about.

A buddy of mine fixed mine up. He repurposed the motor from a treadmill he found at the dump. He grabbed the control board as well. He machined a serpentine flywheel out of aluminum and attached it to the C/D. Works like a charm and the speed is completely controllable from slow to full bore.

1614360857907.jpeg

It can be done. Just what I needed to see. Thx guys!!
Still waiting for the back ordered motor.

Dayum. "And I guess that was your accomplice in the wood chipper........"

What size is that motor! 😳

I have a manual press that was motorized. I don't have any pictures without the guard and I'm not home to get some. Anyway, the motor was mounted on the side and a simple pully is attached to the stem. It was fast and easy to unhook.View attachment 72076View attachment 72077

@ibglowin By the way, don't underestimate the treadmill motor on your unit, that thing has a weighted flywheel on the output shaft, so there's plenty of momentum to take your fingers half way through the machine even if the motor couldn't do it on its own.

Well, I’ve put it off until the last minute as usual. I have the motor, the motor plate mounting bracket concept is on paper, researched the motor drive pulley (3/4” bore, 2-3” OD) but am having a heck of a time finding a v pulley with 18mm bore. Looking at a 8-12” driven pulley but for the life of me can’t find one within reason. Did anyone use a taper lock? Just reaching out to see what guys have done. We are going to go through ~2500-3000 pounds this harvest and sell to a d-i-s-t-i-ll-e-r-y to make b-r-a-n-d-y. Burnt wine still involves winemaking. (I got into trouble a while back talking about this subject).

I used a standard pulley with a brass sleeve that I drilled out to the proper shaft diameter, and also drilled a hole for the set screw. Brass is fairly soft and easy to work with.

your OP considered a cleated belt or chain drive, ,,, for safety this would be done with a V belt, at some point something will get stuck in it
Well, I’ve put it off until the last minute as usual. I have the motor, the motor plate mounting bracket concept is on paper, researched the motor drive pulley (3/4” bore, 2-3” OD) but am having a heck of a time finding a v pulley with 18mm bore. Looking at a 8-12” driven pulley .
Granger is my favorite if I need a specific machine part.
YUP, Kinda last minute, and my apple crusher has been sitting since last November too

I used a standard pulley with a brass sleeve that I drilled out to the proper shaft diameter, and also drilled a hole for the set screw. Brass is fairly soft and easy to work with.
Thanks. I was considering that option. It may come down to that. Taking a week off from vineyard duty. Kid is getting married in Wyoming and won’t be back till a week from today and the grapes are running 2 weeks early. Uggh.

I just completed motorizing my manual crusher destemmer, I made a mounting bracket using 1-1/2 X 1/4" Aluminum Angle, Aluminum tube and brazing them together and bolting it on the crusher, using a bolt to hold it in place when in use and removing when cleaning. (See Pics)
Parts:
  1. Motor from More Wine $199.95 Replacement Motor for WE223 Crushers | MoreWine
  2. Large Pulley wheel $18.89 Fenner Drives AFD104100 Driven Pulley, Fixed 1" Bore, 10.25" OD: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
  3. Small Pulley wheel $19.45 Amazon.com: BK25X3/4 Pulley | 2.5" X 3/4" Single Groove BK Pulley/Sheave : Industrial & Scientific
  4. V Belt 42" $9.85 D&D PowerDrive 3VX420 V Belt, Rubber, 3/8" x 42" OC: Industrial V Belts: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
  5. Aluminum Angle: $16.28 Everbilt 1-1/2 in. x 36 in. Aluminum Angle with 1/8 in. Thick-801407 - The Home Depot
  6. Aluminum Tube: $11.98 Everbilt 36 in. x 1/2 in. x 1/16 in. Aluminum Round Tube-801247 - The Home Depot
  7. Stainless Steel Bolts & Misc $20 Everbilt 1/2 in.-13 x 1-1/2 in. Stainless Steel Hex Bolt-812486 - The Home Depot
  8. Alumaloy Brazing Rods: $14.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E78UT5W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Total Cost $311.39Bracket.jpgFront.jpgSide view.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After manually crushing about 2500+ pounds yesterday I will have this thing motorized by thanksgiving,……this year. Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back