Motorcycling to the bottom of the south Island and back

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St Allie

Tech Administrator
Reaction score
The day has finally arrived, am heading out on my bike this afternoon.

Am taking the SV650 as it has a nice big topbox for all my gear.My bloke is taking the SV1000 and a packrack.

There'll be four of us and one of the guys got all techy and organised an excel spreadsheet with all the distances, costs and a map.. trying to add a link but file is a bit big.

I have a new android phone with camera and internet capability, so will see if I can figure out how to add pics as we ride.

Allie

The day has finally arrived, am heading out on my bike this afternoon.

Am taking the SV650 as it has a nice big topbox for all my gear.My bloke is taking the SV1000 and a packrack.

There'll be four of us and one of the guys got all techy and organised an excel spreadsheet with all the distances, costs and a map.. trying to add a link but file is a bit big.

I have a new android phone with camera and internet capability, so will see if I can figure out how to add pics as we ride.

Allie

Sounds like fun! I really love road trips on my Harley Softail Deluxe, usually do at least 3-4 one-week(+) trips per year. Sometimes travel with a few friends, but really prefer the freedom of going solo.

Pics are always nice!

Ride safe Allie!! Nothing like being in the wind..

Hi Allie,

Have a good time and don't wait for the kids to leave before planning a big trip, I hate to tell you this but they leave and then they come back.

Have just arrived back and OMG what did I let myself in for?

I was in shock by day two.. and wanting to go home.

geez..16 hour day on one day and 435 riding miles in another day.. all to catch a ferry.

I was good with 5 hour stretches of riding, only stopping for petrol and a quick legstretch by day 4. It seems you adjust very quickly. Backpackers for overnight stays were excellent.

Apparently we are making this an annual event..

Am undecided as to whether I can cope next year.

We shall see, pics to come, I haven't downloaded them off the camera yet.

Allie :bt

Well it sounds eventfull! Glad oyu are back safe and sound! :b

...geez..16 hour day on one day and 435 riding miles in another day..
Apparently we are making this an annual event.. Am undecided as to whether I can cope next year.

I've rode 16-hr days numerous times, greatest distance covered in one day is ~700 miles. And that's really not a bad day at all, depends on road conditions, weather, traffic, etc.

By next year, I bet you'll be rearing to go again!

I'm soooooo jealous!!! It seems like ages since I've had a good long ride on the Goldwing.
To do long rides you have to build up your butt to get used to it.
My wife and I started off doing 100 miles, then up to 250 or 300 in a full day. Then did two day rides that would add up to 400 or 500 miles. Then jumped off the edge of sanity and went on a 15 day vacation in '07.
The first day was our long day and we did 650 miles to get to a friend's house to spend the night.
All together we did 4000 miles in 15 days and got into 15 states.
Me alone, I've done a couple 1000 mile days and had one certified by the Iron Butt Association. That was 18 hours.
Don't hesitate to go next year, just get some good rides in before you go.

Have just arrived back and OMG what did I let myself in for?

I was in shock by day two.. and wanting to go home.

geez..16 hour day on one day and 435 riding miles in another day.. all to catch a ferry.

I was good with 5 hour stretches of riding, only stopping for petrol and a quick legstretch by day 4. It seems you adjust very quickly. Backpackers for overnight stays were excellent.

Apparently we are making this an annual event..

Am undecided as to whether I can cope next year.

We shall see, pics to come, I haven't downloaded them off the camera yet.

Allie :bt

Glad you made it back safe. I trust you had a great time and how did I miss this thread? Riding is my life!

Back