Mosti Mondiale Nero D'Avola -- No Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Parisi

Reaction score
Just embarked on my first try at winemaking. I bought a Mosti Mondiale Nero D'Avola All-Juice kit. But mu brother-in-law says it is unusual that it doesn't contain a pack of grape skins. Can anyone enlighten me on whether there should be skins> Or why there wouldn't be skins or wouldn't need them?

Thanks. The fermentation is going well almost a week in.

Just embarked on my first try at winemaking. I bought a Mosti Mondiale Nero D'Avola All-Juice kit. But mu brother-in-law says it is unusual that it doesn't contain a pack of grape skins. Can anyone enlighten me on whether there should be skins> Or why there wouldn't be skins or wouldn't need them?

I'm new to this but here's what I know.

There would only be skins if it's part of the kit. Look at the instructions and it should tell you what it should come with.

I've done two kits from two different manufactures and neither came with skins. Skins aren't needed to make a wine, but maybe desirable. Generally, your more expensive kits will come with things like skins, and oak.

Do you need them... Nope.. Do you want them? Probably, especially if you plan on aging it. I've noticed the quick wines are less likely to contain skins.

Good luck with your kit!

Not all of their kits / juice come with skins or grape packs, this appears to be one that doesn't, it's much like a juice bucket. The higher end lines from MM have grape packs, and you can always order one to add to your kit, thought it's probably too late for you to do so with this one......

Whether it is needed or not is a different issue. In my opinion, the closer you can get to making wine like wine is made from grapes, the better. A grape pack is better than none at all, and it will impart more body and tannins to you wine.

The MM All Juice kits do not come with skins, a skin pack can be purchased separately for about $20. The All Juice Master Edition Kits include skins with many of them.

I would assume that they include skins when they deem it necessary, since they do include them in some of their kits.

As an update, fermentation wen very quickly. Just 8 days to get SG below 1.0. On the 11th day, I degassed, added the clarifying and stabilizing chemicals. Now just waiting for it to clarify so I can bottle it (and get a first taste).

I was only talking about a sip, when I put some in a glass to check for clarity. The instructions say it will take maybe 12 days. But that brings up another question -- would it be of benefit to let the wine stay in the carboy even after it clarifies? Or does it need to be taken off the sediment right away?

Latest posts

Back