Mosti Mondiale Mosti Mondiale Fresh Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ride0488

Reaction score
I'm getting (3) 6 gal containers of Mosti Mondiale cabernet sauvignon on sat oct.2. I also have (3) 1.5 liter grape packs to add to it.My first question is can I use (4) 6 gal fermenting buckets for primary fermenting.All with about 4.5 gals each.So they don't overflow while fermenting.I figured by adding the grape packs I'd be pushing it with only 6 gal buckets.I don't have any 7.5 gal buckets.
After fermention is complete.Planning to tranfer all juice into a 14 gal demi john + 3 gal carboy.With about a gal left over for topping off later.
My second question regarding (MLF) Fermention.I have 3 packets of (LALVIN BACCHUS) from what I've read you start mlf after intial fermention .Do I Put 2.5 packets in DEMIJOHN + 1/2 PACKET IN 3 GAL CARBOY.
I'm not sure if it has to be mixed with water or just drop it in ,also well it work the same in a demi-john.It seems most people use 6 gal carboys.I've never used it before and I'm a little nervous about it.
My third Question when do I add Oak. I have Oak cubes.I think I can add while it bulk ages.Sorry for such a long post

Oak:
Winemakers have different opinions about this. ("Ask ten winemakers a question and you will get eleven different answers")
IMO, you get better extraction of oak during fermentation. Add oak during fermentation. After racking and degassing, taste. If the oak is not to your likings, add some more and taste every once in awhile until it is as you like it. Once you get it right, remove the oak.

Partially Filled Buckets:
Consider that when fermenting 6 gallons of wine in a 7.9 gallon bucket, the bucket is only partially filled. During fermentation, the CO2 on top of the wine fills the gap and protects the wine.

You can safely ferment in 6 your partially filled containers, provided you do the following:
When the wine's SG gets down to about 1.010 to 1.020, it needs to be sealed, so that air (oxygen) is not allowed to get to the wine. At that point, seal the lids and add an air lock. The CO2 in the wine will continue to protect it until fermentation is completed. At completion, rack to your demijohn.

Back