Mosti Mondiale Mosti All Juice Barolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratflinger

3 streets from Hell
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made this last December, bulk aged for 3 months & then put into bottles & stored in my 64* wine storage until now, so this wine has a year on it. We were expecting a very good wine. It taste ok, but has no body. My wife is like wtf? High dollar kit & correctly handled - but cheap tasting wine. We have had other All Juice kits that were good.

Any ideas?

Mosti AJ's take a minimum of 18 mo to start tasting good. 2 years to be great. This guy is just a baby. Put him to bed for another 6 months and only then open another one. It will come around it just takes time. Open a bottle of something else and fugidaboudit for awhile.
smiley4.gif

Also did you top off with water or similar wine?

The reason for the all juice kits is that more of the "organoleptic qualities" of the grape are retained. The means more solids and more precursors. Although the juices have been balanced for you, you are in fact still using the equivalent of free run juice, and it does make for a better, fuller wine. But just as the wine has the potential to be much better, it also takes a lot longer to develop. You never hear of a winery (especialy a good one) that will release a red that is only one year old...still much too young and green. Just remember, you are using the full juice, not altered concentrates. All juice kits make better wine, but patience is definitely required. I used the same tasting timeframes with all juice kits that I use when making wine from free run juice from the grapes......don't rush it.

Just be aware of a few brands out there that make buckets that do not require water. They may look like "All Juice: but are actually a concentrate that they added the water back for you so that you dont have o in case you have bad water or something. I know RJS makes a product like this called Bolero and have heard its terrible. Mosti is the only "All Juice" out there I think. RJS is a very good brand though so dont judge by what I stated above, as its just that one particular product that really bites and the other ones Like the Winery series are freaking great!

Ratflinger,I have made several Original All Juice kits and felt the same as you. To me they didn't have enoughbody and seemed weak. I havea Barolo in this kit that isover 2 years old now so it isn't an age issue. For this reason I have started makingkits with the grape packs.

The Mosti AJ's are good kits but they do need time to develop. Remember you can also purchase a CC Grape Pack for even more solids. I did just this on my last MM AJ. Picked up a Petit Sirah and added a CC Syrah Grape Pack into the must as well. You need a 7.9 gallon bucket on these for sure.

I have made other brands with grape pack up to nowbut plan on trying a Mosti with grape pack. One other thing I did on my last AJ kit was add additional oak and Tan-Cor. This helped considerably. I also agree with Mike, purchasing separate grape pack would be a good add for these kits.

I have an Alljuice Barolo that is now at 1 year, 5 months aging. It is coming along nicely, but still seems a little thin to me. However, the mouth-feel is not much different from other Alljuice kits I have made (Nero d' Avola, Chianti, Sangiovese).

If I were to make it again, I would probably add some grape skins or a grape pack, but I don't know which varietal of skins I would want to try.

MY AJ Barolo has just finished fermenting. I am making a double batch so I can put it into the 11G barrel in March for 2 months. I hope that helps the thin taste.

I made two Mosti kits side by side as a trial- an Alljuice Barolo and a Meglioli Barolo with the grape pack. I added one med oak spiral to both kits. They are at about 6 months now. I cracked some recently to sample with some friends. The AllJuice was definitely thin, of course time will improve that, but not bad.The Meglioli kit was much fuller and richer. I can't wait for the 1year mark. I will post tasting notes.

I have concluded thatall future reds for me will need at least a grape pack. I willlikely make the switch to grapesor frozengrape mustdue to my love ofBIG reds.
The whites are fabulous from Alljuice kits. Excellent mouthfeel, fullness, lingering flavors since they are very close to free run juice. If you like whites, I suggest you try one.

Have never been happy with the Al Juice kits from Mosti....always very thin and very low on tannins with the reds. Has to be the extraction process. The grape pack will add color, though not enough, and will add slight tannin, but does nothing for body. Even tried DSM FermiRed yeast (noted for increased glycerol production) and it still wasn't the same. Even after 3 years (1 in the barrel, 2 in the bottle) it still doen't have near the body that it should.
It will be interresting to see how the new line of Wine Expert kits will turn out, since they claim that they are vastly improved in tanins and precursors.
Don't get me wrong, the Mosti kits make drikable table wine, but not one that I would ever think of entering in competition

I have a one year old All Juice Barolo, Lambrusco, and Malbec. I love them. They are great right now. Not sure if they will last 6 or 12 more months.

This is the first time I have ever heard someone complain about the Mosti AJ Kits. Other than being slow to develop compared to other kits everybody has raved on them, especially the Amarone.

I have an AJ Amarone, a Sangiovese, a Pinot Noir and I just recently finished a Petit Sirah.

The Amarone and Sangiovese is 17 and 16 months old respectively. They are just hitting their stride. Not what I would call a table wine by any means. I usually open 1 bottle a month for the last couple of months and each time I open one I am more and more impressed. Can't wait for the 2 year ann of these guys. I hope I have a case of each left by then.

YMMV as they say.
smiley23.gif

wjdonahue said:
Have never been happy with the Al Juice kits from Mosti....always very thin and very low on tannins with the reds. 

The difference is probably because I have been making most of my "big reds" from grapes. Just don[t getthe same body and tanin structure from the AJ kits. Also, while they do make fine table wines, they just aren't up for serious competition. While I have won numerous medals with the grape pack kits, have never won one with a Mosti AJ kit.
Probably isn't the kit......probably is me!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bill

Latest posts

Back