Most useless equipment thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's a progression thing. Some of the stuff I used at first will never be used again but at the time had a purpose. Bottle filling wand and auto siphon are out do to the AIO. I have a punch corker and later bought a 2 lever corker that are now collecting dust because of the floor corker. The tree top bottle washer was replaced with a brass pressure washer and a tubing washer. Plastic 6 gal big mouth fermenter which is used only if all the other fermenters are being used. Still used but not nearly as much as before are label scrapers since I'm finding new bottles are much less painful especially when I can get them for $5.00/case. The last thing I can think of although absolutely not usless are glass carboys since my barrel collection is growing. Again, it's a progression thing which everyone has different priorities.
Where are you find bottles @ $5.00 a case?

3 piece airlock - horrible things - replaced with S type - don't trust the silicone flapper type;
double lever corker gathering dust since I bought a floor corker;
carboy brush - great for scratching plastic carboys - now using a small towel with some one-step and sloshing it around;
fermentation bucket - packed away - Fermonster with 4" drill cover much better;
pvc capsules - never made a bottle taste better-lol;
tubing brush - not long enough and don't need it - quick soak right after using it works fine;
Vintage Shop PVC carboys - have yet to find a stopper that fits right.

A #10. 0 stopper should fit. They are what I use in the Pet carboy transfer kit.

I do not use the cheaper vintage shop bungs as they are hard and do not seal

A #10. 0 stopper should fit. They are what I use in the Pet carboy transfer kit.

I do not use the cheaper vintage shop bungs as they are hard and do not seal
I have a drawer full of No. 10 bungs and they are loose in the Vintage Shop carboys and don't form a good seal. Looking on other sites, there are a lot of complaints about No. 10 not fitting snugly. Some have suggested a 10.5 bung. I bought the Vintage Shop just to try it out and I rarely use it. Haven't tried a No. 10.5 stopper in it, though.

Latest posts

Back