Other Moscato Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Junior
Reaction score
I was asked to make a couple of lets say "less expensive" Moscato kits for a group of friends. One was a well know Vinters, the other a grape concentrate our local home wine making store has madeup for them.

Both made wines that are significantly more amber colored (one is a light amber, the other a little darker) than I expected. They do not taste bad, or oxidized - I think that is simply their color. I talked with both wine shops I use and they said that was typical for their suppliers product.

I was very surprised the wine was not similar to the commercial products which typically are close to a clear colorless wine.

The taste is also a little different to the commercial Moscato I have tried - probably a little stronger tasting (more concentrated flavor) although I must say Moscato is not a wine I drink often as its too sweet, so I have little to compare it to, and the wine is just clearing so I am sure the taste and a lesser degree the color will change.

I am a little concerned my friends will be disappointed in the finished product simply because it does not conform closer to the Moscato they buy at the local big box grocery store.

I am going to back sweeten just a bottle or two, and if they don't like it keep it for myself, as IMO it tastes pretty nice.

What are peoples experience with Moscato kits compared to commercial products? Do they typically look and taste the same?

Not very good photos of initial samples. Kits on the left, commercial on the right. The post is about the wine, not the glasses - they were all I had on hand at the time :)

1645723123654.png

This is a general situation -- all but the top end kits are made from concentrate, and the concentration process has an effect upon the resulting color of white wines. While I've had a few whites turnout nearly clear, most are at least a bit darker when compared side-by-side with a commercial wine. For most it's a minor cosmetic issue, if the aroma and taste are good.

Your expectations for what you'd get are not in line with the actual result. Don't take this negatively -- you didn't know, and now you do. Since you think the young wines smell and taste good, I'd call this a very inexpensive lesson. [Dumping a carboy is both expensive and painful!]

Also keep in mind the wine is just clearing -- it's probably yeasty and the color may be influenced by suspended particles. I suggest you continue with the process and let the wine bulk age for 3 months, then re-evaluate.

This is a general situation -- all but the top end kits are made from concentrate, and the concentration process has an effect upon the resulting color of white wines. While I've had a few whites turnout nearly clear, most are at least a bit darker when compared side-by-side with a commercial wine. For most it's a minor cosmetic issue, if the aroma and taste are good.

Your expectations for what you'd get are not in line with the actual result. Don't take this negatively -- you didn't know, and now you do. Since you think the young wines smell and taste good, I'd call this a very inexpensive lesson. [Dumping a carboy is both expensive and painful!]

Also keep in mind the wine is just clearing -- it's probably yeasty and the color may be influenced by suspended particles. I suggest you continue with the process and let the wine bulk age for 3 months, then re-evaluate.

I agree its not a big issue, the wine is perfectly drinkable and for such a early sample I am not disappointed with the flavor.

I was just a little surprised at the significant color difference (there is a BIG difference between the amber and slightly yellow/clear commercial) and wished to know if this is typical of white kit wines.

I usually make fruit wines directly from the fruit and my only other experience was a rather expensive Winexpert Vintner's Reserve Chenin Blanc Kit and juice buckets both of which were very similar to the commercial versions.

As you say, part of the learning experience and so long as they are drinkable I will be content.

Thanks
N

Latest posts

Back