More questions on degassing...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the wine can taste undrinkable, harsh, volatile, bitter, acidic, etc just before and right after bottling. it's been through alot the past 30-45 days.
try it again in 3 months and see how it's settled down.
it will be even more composed and balanced after a year.
it may still be that undrinkable stuff up to 2 months after bottling, that's fairly normal. although different wines have different schedules for when they want to get right and drinkable.

Thanks!!! That boosted my confidence! I thought that I had done something wrong. :D I'm excited! I am planning on bottling this weekend!!!

Yup that should mellow out after a bit. I have a WE SO Merlot thats at 11 months and its still changing. WE red kits aren't the best but they are great for learning.

Last edited:
You should be OK. What was the starting gravity of this kit? Your BF may mistake it for a strong flavor

the way I degas is to gently shake the carboy a few times a day, with the airlock on. any issues with this other then just being time consuming?

Really not enough agitation. that will not degas much. Invest in a degasser that attaches to a drill. You will be amazed as how much is left your way.

I picked up one of these bad boys: http://store.defalcowines.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=19927&substring=vacuum

And I'm amazed how well it works. Even after the 3 days of degassing with the drill wand.

The pump fits right over a #7 bung, and then I just pump it up about 30-40 times. The wine looks like a freshly poured beer with all the bubbles coming out of it! I'm sold lol, vacuum degassing is definitely the way to go :db

Back