More Questions: Fallen Yeast, Aging, Next Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabrooks

Junior
Reaction score
Im going on day 5 and have some questions.

I popped open my fermenter to have a look, and it looks as though the yeast has fallen. There is no crusty, bubbly "stuff" on the top like I have seen in the gallery on this forum. While I didn't stir, it is entirely possible this happend while moving the bucket a few feet after pitching. Possibly useful info: using a chardonnay Vino del Vida kit, sg was 1.085, got bubbles in the air lock at about hour 12, now getting a couple "big" bubbles every second (the lid is even a little concave).

Secondly, what is the difference between bulk and bottle aging in regards to taste? I was planning on waiting a week for my first bottle, then slowly picking them out of aging as needed over the course of the next few months. Thoughts?

Lastly, if all goes well with this kit, I would like to try something more advanced... and eventually work my way up to buying whole grapes and doing everything. What would be a good next step? Another kit? If so, which one? I'm a big muscat fan, if that helps.

Thank you so much. This forum is great!

Last edited:
jabrooks:

What is the current sg, and what temperature has the wine been at? There is a good chance that the fermentation is finished.

Steve

Steve,

Just checked SG and temp, and took a picture. SG is 1.010, which is lower than I had expected it to be this early, no? Temp is ~78. I live in Los Angeles, so there aren't any violent temperature swings.

5xl5xi.jpg
I know you can't tell much detail... from the image, but thought it may help with diagnosis.

Thoughts?

Also, regarding smell... its starting to get way more "winey" and less gym sock/spoiled as time goes on. The typical yeasty, bready smell is dissipating slightly too. I think my nose just isn't very well trained for this.

Thank you so much!

Im going on day 5 and have some questions.

I popped open my fermenter to have a look, and it looks as though the yeast has fallen.

Perfectly normal. Once the yeast are fully re-hydrated they do fall to the bottom. You might get a few taking a ride on a CO2 bubble once in a while, but for the most part they are bottom dwellers.

Secondly, what is the difference between bulk and bottle aging in regards to taste? I was planning on waiting a week for my first bottle, then slowly picking them out of aging as needed over the course of the next few months. Thoughts?

There is a lot of info here about the advantages of bulk aging. However, if you are just getting going (like I am), you are definitely going to want to sample your wine. It's fun, it's the reward for all your effort, and it helps you to learn how the wine changes with time. So if this is one of your first kits I would definitely bottle age, and save the bulk aging for kit #10 or so. Plus you want to free up that carboy!

What would be a good next step? Another kit? If so, which one? I'm a big muscat fan, if that helps. Thank you so much. This forum is great!

I'm not sure anyone else opinion (including mine) really helps here. What matters is what tastes good to you. Hopefully you have a Ferment On Premises shop nearby that will allow you to taste a lot to fine what you like.

If you're SG is 1.010 and you're still getting bubbles, it is still fermenting. Wait longer, day 5 is far too early to think about bottling. For personal preference bottle vs. bulk aging is more of whether I need the carboy or not. For most wines I do not think you can tell the difference as to how they are aged. You will need to wait more then a week to pop that first cork. Most wines need 2-3 weeks in the bottle to get over bottle shock.

jabrooks:

Although it's about 3 years since I made a Vino del Vida kit, your results are pretty much bang on. A slightly higher temperature than many people manage (I aim for 73-74) and very reasonable sg for 5 days. Continue to follow the instructions.

STeve

I think the largest benefit of bulk aging in the carboy is that the wine has plenty of time to release excess co2 and drop sediment that would otherwise end up in your bottles.

SG was 1.005 today; the batch as really started to take on a Chardonnay bouquet. When testing the SG in my cylinder, I took a clean spoon and tasted... its not there yet, but I am very surprised how it tastes almost exactly like a mix between juice and wine. It seems well on its way.

Latest posts

Back