more peach talk

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygirl

Reaction score
this peach has bothered me more than the kit or blueberry:?
where the foam had receded slightly in the larger carboy, it left a funky chunky ring of gunk...i took the bung out and sure enough, it smelled fairly gross. not the overwhelming gross of the early fermentation, but reminiscent of it anyway...it's been 3 weeks, so i racked early. i racked both (2.5? gallon and 1 gallon) to primary bucket, added kmeta and sorbate last night. made my fpack this morning and just added it. i cleaned the carboys and wine back in them. it is strong tasting and dry at .999
but there is a peach flavor. i'm hoping the fpac will be the winning move!
(btw, had a little head space in the 1 gallon jug and topped off with tiny amount of peach chardonnay from purple toad winery)

Last edited:
i should add that it is clearing decently. would this be the time to add a fining agent? or will mother nature do this eventually?? maybe just wait till bottling time to polish?

If its clearing on its own and you are in no rush then by all means let Mother Nature do it.

I have 20+ gallons of peach clearing. I start it in plastic buckets so there is room (somwetimes in 2 buckets and straining bags). I pull the pulp (in paint straining bag) @ 1.015. Leave it in till dry or 1.010 and rack

thanks wade and tom. i am in no hurry. i fnd it funny, but is wine like children? do u expect different things from different ones? lol
i expected the red kit to be done and drinking...fortunately i've learned different...
i evidently have expected nothing from the blueberry, as i've set it back against the wall and have left it...
i guess i just didn't expect the peach to stink, lol, but now it has settled down and is being a good kid.

:u
i will try to post a pic of the peach! it's the only one i have covered with a t-shirt and i peaked today and the 1 gallon is waaaay clear! but the larger carboy is not:( what up with this? again, will try to get pic on...

I got gunk with my peach/strawberry wine. It's just pulp and foam. I carefully took a paper towel and sprayed it with K metea and wiped the upper portion of my buckets. Just didn't want it to oxidize them fall into my primary.

I try to keep the walls of my primary clean when I push down the fruit with some of the must. Or I'll wipe briefly.

Got an e-mail peaches are ready at the farms around here for 1.69 /pound. Not to bad I guess.

well, i got it to the gallery under "my pups"...can't figure out how to get it to here without using photobucket...will keep learning...any thoughts?

well, i got it to the gallery under "my pups"...can't figure out how to get it to here without using photobucket...will keep learning...any thoughts?

If you have it in the photo gallery, copy the URL, then when you post click the tiny mountain icon at the top, paste the URL and hit return.

picture.php

thanks steve!
can u see the pic? i can't...just red x
will try to get it on this thread when i get home.
i can see it in albumn/gallery though? i'm so computer illiterate, lol

You and me both have user problems when it comes to computers.

You need to add a photo to your gallery here on this site.
Then copy the photos URL
Create a post then look 2 inches above where you type, click the mountain thingy. Then hit Command V to paste. There are 2 url blocks, I believe it's the first one but it will be blue. After you paste hit return and it should be there.

Remember if it's too big it won't show up. You will have to make it smaller before putting it in gallery. This may be the reason for Mr. Red X

You and me both have user problems when it comes to computers.

Remember if it's too big it won't show up. You will have to make it smaller before putting it in gallery. This may be the reason for Mr. Red X

gotcha...i will work on it when i get home...it will keep anyone from having to go back and forth...thanks

picture.php

aahh, here is the pic...may have been an issue with the computer i was on.
so, what do ya think? i was so surprised when i peaked under the tshirt. did this one gallon jug clear quicker because it was smaller? when i racked (added kmeta/sorbate/fpac) i did this in a 5 gallon primary and then racked back into these after cleaning them. i racked into the larger one first, so i would have thought the smaller jug would get more lees.

YAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! Mine is similar only has a red tint due to the strawberries I added. Wine making's fun huh. Easier than posting your 1st photo.

One gallon batches will always clear faster and they will always ferment fatser. There is just much less volume so everything happens faster. Peach though can be a problemsome wine to clear and the batch that I just bottled last week was laste years batch that has been in carboy for approx one year and would clear nicely on its own but instead of using fining agent I tried to filter it and it did an amazing job with it and was able to bottle finally.

i was hoping gallon vs. 2.5 gal. size was the issue, so i can just give the other one time.
yahh, steve, it is fun...
i put my slurry in my skeeter pee tonight; so hopefully i will have something for family and friends to drink soon! i'm working on a funny label 4 the skeeter pee, too, lol
thanks for input!

I see what you did when you paste the link make sure the extra http:// is not showing I would post it for you but haven't got enough post yet LOL

update

I see what you did when you paste the link make sure the extra http:// is not showing I would post it for you but haven't got enough post yet LOL
i think that's exactly what i did...

there seems to be some decent clearing out of the 2.5 gallon carboy. since i had such trouble with smell, i pulled the bungs and gave 'em a good sniff and they both smell fine!!! i am so grateful to all who walked/talked me thru this...if it weren't for this forum, i might have thrown in the towel, lol...thank you!

Looking at that picture, that 3 gallon carboy is one Ive never seenin that shape. Mine is tall and then rather then short and stout.

Looking at that picture, that 3 gallon carboy is one Ive never seenin that shape. Mine is tall and then rather then short and stout.
it's old...my mom had it...she had pennies in it, lol
it's fairly thick, too...that may be affecting the "illusion" of not clearing...it looked more clear looking down into it.

Latest posts

Back