MORE Mango Pineapple Wine !!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
We opened our first bottle of Pineapple Mango wine last week. The wife was afraid to 'encourage' me too much, but she definitely liked it. I talked at dinner over the next few days about keeping my eyes open for Fresh Mangos or Frozen Mango Chunks at a decent price. Her reaction was muted but slightly different than it has been to my talk about new wine batches.

So today I was in a Sam's Club in Fayetteville, AR down the road near my VA center. Frozen Mango Chuncks $8.98 for 4 lbs. Did a quick calculation and decided to get 4 bags. for 3 gallons of wine. As I was leaving Sam's the wife called. After I told her where I was (Not what I bought) she revealed that she had just purchased 10 Fresh Mangos @ $.45 each. So I fessed up about my purchase.

Guess that means she liked the wine a lot. :db

OH and this hopefully will be a MANGO - Pineapple wine not a PINEAPPLE - Mango wine. Nothing against the first batch but I really want the Mango flavor to show up more.

Will post back what the final weights and composition of the batch looks like. Hoping for at somewhere between 6-7lbs of Mangos per gallon and Two cans of Frozen Pineapple Juice. for a 3 gallon batch.

Oh and I ran contrary to my own guidelines an bottled that first batch at about 9 months. - The wine was clear and taste was solid. So far no appreciable sediment after bottling.

Last edited:
Just thinking aloud here but you might get more of the mango flavor if you add the mangos to the secondary and allow the fruit to sit on the alcohol rather than the water... and use the alcohol to extract the flavor...

Hmm Ok. So
Plan A - I ferment the Pineapple juice down to about what 1.020 and then add the mangoes in? I'm game to try that. Already added mangoes and pineapple juice concentrate but the bucket is still ice cold as the mango chunks were frozen and 16 lbs takes a while to fully defrost.
So I could pull out the mango put them in the fridge and fire up the pineapple once I get that up to a proper SG.

Plan B - I have only added the frozen mango and honestly some of them looked a little green - picked too early. So I could let those and the pineapple do their thing THEN add the fresh Mangoes after they have had a little more time to ripen and soften more. That way the bulk of the Mangoes are well broken down and I can have the fresh Mangoes well treated and mashed with Pectic Enzyme to hasten their demise. Currently I've treated the frozen Mango chunks with 1 1/2 tablespoon of Pectic Enzyme.

At present Plan B looks like the easiest since I need a few more days for the ripe Mangoes to soften a bit more and of course get them cut up for use. Wife bought 9 lbs of Fresh Mangoes it turns out So with their large seeds and skins I expect to see not more than 4-5 lbs of actual fresh fruit go into the mix.

Thanks Bernard for the idea. That sounds like a viable plan.

So my primary batch of mango-pineapple is just about finished fermenting in less than 4 days. Started at SG 1.086. Today at SG 1.008

BUT the fun of cutting up fresh mangoes - NO FUN THERE ! I have cut up 6 mangoes and have a total of 4 lbs usable fruit 'meat.' Got to do at least 3 more to get to my target amount of 6 lbs. Messy and wow the scraping of the seed and the skins - it does net a lot more juicy pulp but... Then I'll mash it all in a mesh bag to start a second batch. - I've decided not to add it to the first batch but rather do a comparison of Fresh mango-and frozen Pineapple juice with Frozen mango chunks and frozen Pineapple juice. Same amount of pineapple juice in both batchs 1 can per gallon (12oz)

Latest posts

Back