Moose in the yard taking a pea

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Hers a picture most of you have never seen. A Moose in the yard taking a pea. LOL

I chased her off with the shotgun, but thought Id snap a picture first.

If it was a little later in summer, I would be talking about Moose steaks. The shot that you cant miss right outside the door!!

Actually my neighbor shot a Moose out here a few years ago while he was sitting in his outhouse. No sheet! (pardon the pun)
LOL

moose 007.jpg

That's an awesome thing to see for sure. The moose, not the peeing. Ever encounter bears? Or wolves? I'd love to go big game hunting up there. Pretty spendy, though, if you're from out of town.

I havent actually een any bears on the property, but darn sure seen the signs. We dont keep garbage around or pet food outside so they really have no reason to come out of the woods. I HAVE seen pleny of bears over the years .

Yeah, they really rape non residents on their fees alone, I'm not sure, but I think even for moose a non resident must be accompaniedby a guide. Now were really getting spendy!!

I am pretty sure almost all of the other big game require a non resident have a guide.

They get you pretty good on even a fishing license. I get ine free now, but its like $15 for a residet and like $60 for a non res.

There is no question there is some spectacular wildlife up here. Its just as spectacular in other ways too besides the animals.
Its one of the last great open wld places left on the planet, I feel blessed to live here all these years. I could never leave. Ever. It grows on a person in a big way.

As far as I know, unless you have a 1st degree relative (sibling, child, or parent) living in Alaska you have to hire a guide. The magazines say you might as well plan to spend at least 20k. Actually, that was about 10 yrs ago. I've quit looking at those magazines. :)

Ever do any serious photography, Troy? There used to be a Baptist minister in our area that was a very serious photographer and did a lt of work in AK. He had a cover of National Geographic a few years ago. It was a line of Caribou walking a ridgetop at sunset. Anyway, when he retired he moved to Alaska where his daughter lives. He was a hunter, too, and said he had a hard time deciding whether to carry a rifle or camera. Some of the photos he took were amazing.

Back in the day!!!LOL, WhenI was like 15-17 I was really into photogrphy,did alot of freelance work, did 2 weddings an I as actually the phoographer for the then, only modeling agency in town. I was 16!!!!

Them were the days! LOL I actually was hired to photograph the Miss Alaska USA show!

20K to shoot a Moose. flippngcrazy!

If we hadthe backhoe here(its off the property righ now). I would have poahed that Moose this morning with out thinking twice.

It would have went intothe giant shop next door and been butchered and gone in n hour.

The neighbor I told you about. On my advice he was ready. Had his buddies on call, all the knives sharpened ,the tarps lined up etc.

He dropped that Moose, whithin one hour that Moose was butched skinned, the guts buried, etc. One hour. I never seen a thing. Igot ome for my silence.

None of it was wasted, so I dont cnsider it poacig. Its subsistence.

In the 32 years I have been here I only shot one Moose. It was a cow, in August!!!! But was on a remote fly in lake with a family that trulylived off the land. We dried the entire thing, and I guarantee you, they used every bit of it. was it poaching? No!

But 20K, wow!. I didnt realize it was that much. I knew it was expensive but damn.

Guess yall will have to grow your own damn Moose!!!!

That 20k includes tags, guide fees, airfare, food. You know, the whole ball of wax. Bet you could do a semi-guided hunt on public land for less. Even half that so far out of my price range I've never bothered to verify.

Get your point about taking game. Bag limits and seasons are sort of liberal at my place, too. Last winter I had to shoot 2 deer to keep them from winter browsing my fruit plants. They both went to a buddy whose got a big family and is disabled. Wouldn't be happy to get caught but wouldn't be ashamed either.

A couple years ago our babysitter gave us 2 lbs of ground moose. It was given to them and they wouldn't eat it. I couldn't tell it wasn't beef.

My Mom(shes in Milwaukee) is really weird about that. She WILL NOT, period!!! Eat venison, Moose, alligator anything like that. Typicalpollack!

I went back about 15 yrs ago or so. I had just got off a commercial Halibut boat. I brought back like 40 pounds of Halibut.

I was going to show my Ma true beer battered fish.

She wouldnt eat it!! SLAP SLAP.

I gave most of it to my buddies at the bar.

I forget what they say, but someting tells me Moose is like 15 TIMES leaner than beef, and Caribou is like 35.

Dont quote me on that but I tink thats what they said.I know you can starve to death eating Caribou. it is so lean there is no fat.

I fished with a couple guys a while back. They were buddies fromMontana. They were going to pool their wages and invest in Ostrich farming.

I HAVE had the opportunity to try Ostrich a couple times.

Not a chicken, it looks like beef, no poultry taste what so ever, But it is one of the healthiest meats a human can injest(Remeber, were not suppose to be meat eaters). We considered carrying it on the menu, but it was just to damn expensive, like 17 a pound, sheet, I could by crab or lobster for that. But yeah, anyway, Ostrich is some nice meat.

Troy if you wanna have some fun, cut a hole in the ice over a lake area, pour a can of peas around the hole and sit back and wait.

When the moose comes to take a pee, kick him in the icehole. :):):):):)

Not supposed to be meat eaters? OK, we have molars, which is typical veg design, but we also have eyes on the front of our heads. That says predator all the way.

Troy if you wanna have some fun, cut a hole in the ice over a lake area, pour a can of peas around the hole and sit back and wait.

When the moose comes to take a pee, kick him in the icehole. :):):):):)

another joke out of place. I declare myself to be the forum police:)

Just seen the sheet trying to sneak in, she took off as soon as she spotted me. That shotgun scared the hell out of her, guess she hasn't forgotten.

Know how I know its a she? I looked when she was running away! LOL

She keeps coming around, I can almost guarantee steaks in the near future! That Moose, and shes only like 3(shes been around, we know), could wipe out half the garden in just afew hours. Steaks taste way better than vegetables!!!

We had a moose take a pee in our yard a few years back - quite a site - my wife's grandfather was there and he "talked" to it, in his words. Sounded like some kind of cooing to me. He was 98 or so at the time and hadn't seen a moose in many years, so it was an event for sure.
Moose pee sure is potent stuff - burned the grass to a crisp!
Nice picture, Troy.

Latest posts

Back