WineXpert Montepulciano Selection International

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickallen

Reaction score
This is my first time making wine. And the only real questions i have are these. How long should I age this wine? Should I age it in a Carboy or bottles? Any info would be helpful.

I would follow the directions since this is your first kit. Just don't rush it into the bottle too fast unless it is clear and free of ALL sediment. Let it bulk age in the carboy a month or so just to make sure its perfectly clear.

ibglowin said:
I would follow the directions since this is your first kit. Just don't rush it into the bottle too fast unless it is clear and free of ALL sediment. Let it bulk age in the carboy a month or so just to make sure its perfectly clear.

Thanks for the input. What is the Max time I can age in bottles on wine coming from a kit

Thanks for the input. What is the Max time I can age in bottles on wine coming from a kit

Welcome to the forum.

Depends on the particular kit. Most kit documentation will tell you this. Sometimes one has to contact the manufacturer and ask specifically.

Inexpensive kits tend to last less time than the more expensive premium kits. Wines like the summer (mist) wines should be bottled within the first 4 months and drank within another 18 months.

The quality of the cork will make a difference as will the sanitation methods one uses when making the wine.

I make only the premium kits. I don't usually even bottle me kit wines before about 16 months. I trust the wine will last in the bottle easily another 2 to 3 years.

One rule of thumb I have heard is:
How ever long it takes a wine to be ready to drink, the wine should stay drinkable for that same amount of time. Example: an inexpensive wine is ready to drink after 8 months; after that initial 8 months the wine should remain good for (at least) another 8 months. This is not set in stone, but it should give you a good idea.

Depends on the kit really. High end kits will last 3-5 years if storage conditions are good. Low end kits 18-24 months is more the norm. It all depends on the quality of the kit, the storage conditions, the quality of your cork, the correct amount of sulfite. Many variables are in play.

Thats way to much sulfite. Where did that number come from? The pack that comes with your kit is all you will need if you bottle up to ~3 months time from when it was added. If you bulk age for say another 3 months you would add 1/8tsp of Sulfite every 3 months.

ibglowin said:
Thats way to much sulfite. Where did that number come from? The pack that comes with your kit is all you will need if you bottle up to ~3 months time from when it was added. If you bulk age for say another 3 months you would add 1/8tsp of Sulfite every 3 months.

That is the quantity the kit gives you if you are going to age longer

You need to reread the instructions. I haven't seen W.E. provide 2 packets of sulfites. That second large packet is probably sorbate.

1.5 grams of Kmeta is way, way too much as an additional dose.

ibglowin said:
Do they give you two packages then?

How much is in each package?

No just one package. The instructions say if you want to age your wine more than six months add 1.5g(1/4tsp) of sulfite powder with 1/2 cup cool water

robie said:
You need to reread the instructions. I haven't seen W.E. provide 2 packets of sulfites. That second large packet is probably sorbate.

1.5 grams of Kmeta is way, way too much as an additional dose.

No there is no second packet of sulfite. That is just what the instruction says for further aging. Of that is too much what is the right number.

Sorry, I was looking at it wrong. 1.5 grams is .315 tsp or 4.7619047 grams per tsp.

So, add 1/4th tsp of Kmeta. W.E. has always said 1/4 tsp, even though that seems like a lot for many of us.

I won a Silver medal with this kit at the Indy wine competition in 2010. The wine was a year old (from start to finish), at the time. I did not add any extra K-meta. I had a glass, this summer, from a bottle I gave away, Christmas 2010, and it was awesome. The extra K-meta isn't needed unless you're going to age it more than a couple of years.

I did nothing except follow the instructions.

Unless you introduce some fungus that starts the Zombie Apocolypse...you can't go wrong with this kit.

:rdo

Peace,
Bob

gonzo46307 said:
I won a Silver medal with this kit at the Indy wine competition in 2010. The wine was a year old (from start to finish), at the time. I did not add any extra K-meta. I had a glass, this summer, from a bottle I gave away, Christmas 2010, and it was awesome. The extra K-meta isn't needed unless you're going to age it more than a couple of years.

I did nothing except follow the instructions.

Unless you introduce some fungus that starts the Zombie Apocolypse...you can't go wrong with this kit.

:rdo

Peace,
Bob

Thanks bob

This one:

The-Walking-Dead-Season-2-Trailer-1.jpg

Always use a proper amount of Sulfites folks!

nickallen,
I agree that since this is your first kit, you should follow the instructions to the letter.
In subsequent kits, you may try to adjust your times for aging.
Tim Vandergrist is a WE tech guy and suggested adjusting the timing of aging wine in this article:
http://www.winemakermag.com/component/content/article/26/850

You may also want to:
1) test the acid level and adjust as needed.
2) Add oak cubes instead of or in addition to the dust

There are many resources online, including forums such as this.

Good health and good wine,
TJ

Latest posts

Back