Montepulciano - Add Oak?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jjh

Junior
Reaction score
Making Montepulciano from a kit and was wondering if anyone would recommend adding oak chips to the must? The kit does not come with oak, but wanted to see if doing so may enhance the flavor? Thanks for any input!

It's your wine. I say go for it. I would certainly add if it were mine.

I have had good luck by adding 4 oz of dried elderberries to the must and the adding oak post fermentation. oak chips will also work then add oak post fermentation

I have had good luck by adding 4 oz of dried elderberries to the must and the adding oak post fermentation. oak chips will also work then add oak post fermentation
Thanks for the advice!

Really loving oak in primary and secondary both. It's more apparent having tried both, in secondary or bulk aging. In fact I love it in my glass too though ... (best way is to decant some from bottle onto oak chunks ... this gives a very controllable idea of what you might like.) It's nice to know how much is too much, and then pull back before committing to a whole batch. (Honestly, I have not found too much to be too much .. I kinda dig it)

Back