Other Money no object blow your doors off Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btmcdavid

Junior
Reaction score
I am looking for my next kit. I have made the following:

Winexpert Vintners Reserve Cab (yuck so far, started Dec 2014)
Winexpert Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot (tasted better but know I need a bunch of time (started in March and currently bulk aging)
Winexpert Eclipse Dry Creek Valley Chard (have not tried but hoping for the best and planning on bottling soon for summer/fall consumption)

I am looking for my next kit and like big bold reds but really if done well I like most all red varietals. Price not being a factor what would you suggest. Also, a suggestion on where to purchase online would be great. My local shop only carries Winexpert and if your recs on the best stuff out there is not that, certainly willing to get it online.

Thanks!

Ben

You're not going to get a "blow your doors off red" from a kit. The best you'll get from the very best kits currently available is about a $20 bottle, if you stick with the premium kits with skins. CC Showcase, RJ's En Primeur and Winery Series, and Eclipse. Odds of approaching that mark vary quite a bit, but are improved if you know how to tweak the process, barrel age etc.. If you expect any more than that from kits you're setting yourself up to be let down.

Ben, my most enjoyable reds are, in no particular order, Showcase Amarone, Showcase Yakima Cab/Merlot, Showcase Red Mountain Cab (currently not available) and Winery Series Super Tuscan. All are big reds but they need 18 to 24+ months to get really good. Worth the wait though

Fair enough Brian, let me qualify blow your doors off relative to all other kit wines... Not looking for a First Growth Bordeaux contender or anything here :)

Fair enough Brian, let me qualify blow your doors off relative to all other kit wines... Not looking for a First Growth Bordeaux contender or anything here :)

As long as you know what to expect regarding kits, just don't want anyone setting themselves up for a big letdown.

I see a lot of Winery Series Super Tuscan and Showcase Rosso Fortissimo being mentioned as equally good. Anyone know the actual grape varietals in either one of these?

I see a lot of Winery Series Super Tuscan and Showcase Rosso Fortissimo being mentioned as equally good. Anyone know the actual grape varietals in either one of these?

Propiatary blend of Corvina, Rondinella and Molinara.

Thanks! IS that for both? Is it actually documented anywhere?

I believe Mike must have missed that we started talking about Super Tuscans. The grapes he mentioned are the ones that go into Amarone. (Those grapes he mentioned are grown in the Veneto region, several hundred kilometers from Tuscany.)

Super Tuscans generally contain Sangiovese, Cab, and/or Merlot. According to MoreWine and other distributors, Vineco actually tells us what CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo contains:
Cellar Craft's Description

Multiple medal winner!
Our original “Crushed Grape Pack” wine. Super-Tuscan styled wine vinted from Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Sangiovese and other native Italian varieties. Fermented on Yakima crushed Merlot grapes. A big, full-bodied wine with solid structure and bold fruit notes. Complex cassis, plum and cherry notes balance the bold tannins. French and American oaks contribute toasty vanilla and greater depth in this intense wine. Like all “Crushed Grape Pack” wines, a minimum of 6 months aging is required to begin to see harmony develop. A year is better and 2 years yields a very special wine for your enjoyment.

I could find no information on the RJS product, except that several vendors claim to know that the skins are Merlot skins.

I can vouch for the Super Tuscan and Red Mountain Cab. Both excellent - especially after 18 months. The Showcase Walla Walla Cab Merlot is on my radar. I'm also happy with my Eclipse Barolo (buy before the June 1st price fixing goes into effect) and RJS En Primeur Amarone.

I've done the red mountain cab, cc amarone, cellar craft walla walla cab/merlot and the we selection Chilean Malbec/Shiraz with skins. All are young but all are showing great promise. Looking forward to the super Tuscan probably next.

Unfortunately those have shown to be just so so. The buckets they come in are fantastic though LOL. I made 4 of them when first starting out and I use the buckets for storing corks (corkidor) as well as when I press in the Fall. Great buckets, so so wine..... :)

I agree with ibglowin, it's my understanding that the 23L Mosti buckets are just the same as their other kits but you're paying to ship the water that you'd normally add at home. I made a couple and they were decent, but aren't anything magical.

I would definitely spend my money on a high-end kit with skins and better oak over an all-juice Mosti....

Heather

My fave so far has been the Lodi old vine Zinfandel. - cellar craft, I like the my super Tuscan, I'm not a fan of a amarones, I love the le grand red I, but my fave reg kit has been this Zin. Big and red and spicy! Yum!

Is there a way to get fresh or frozen grapes directly from Napa? The ultimate American Cab?

You can get frozen 5 gallon buckets of high end grapes from Brehm - It is expensive but the quality is amazing - The have a pretty good selection of different Cabs and other grapes from various regions in California and Washingto

Latest posts

Back