Moldy peaches (not the musicians)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckwine

Junior
Reaction score
Help.Started a batch of peach wine on Sunday (7/18). I washed the peaches well, sterilized all equipment, added campden tablets and peptic enzyme per the recipe, then covered with a linen cloth. Monday everything looked good, but when I went to stir last night there was a layer of mold on the top. Is there any way to save it or did I just waste an evening and several pounds of sugar?

Are you sure it is mold? I have never heard of mold forming that fast. Normally you would have a fruit cap on top. Can you post your recipe and what you did?

I have to agree with julie - not sure mold would form that quick.

Could be a layer of foam from the fermentation or a "cap" which is the pulp being pushed up from the fermentation.

If you are not sure - post a pic. That way we can help identify it for you.

Having camera issues right now so I can't post a picture, but I think you are right. After looking closer, there are no darker spots usually seen in mold and there are bubbles forming under the white "skin". So is it ok to stir and proceed as normal? Thanks for the help.

Have you added the yeast yet? You may have seen the begining of fermentation wild yeast or what you added.

Punch it down does it disapate. I think above are correct, fermentation has started.

I think y'all are right, it is natural fermentation. The peaches were past their prime, that is why I made wine out of them. I had not seen this in the previous batches, so I freaked out. Typical rookie mistake. It tastes good and smells good, so I stirred and covered it. Thanks for the help guys.

at least they don't stink, lol...this newbie learned about that the hard way, too!

Latest posts

Back