Mold on wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Benjamin

Junior
Reaction score
Came to check on my wine after a few weeks and found this mold formed on the top. I had some mold issues earlier in the process and quickly reracked and added sulfites- but it appears they are back.

I’m a few days away from when I was hoping to bottle. Any chance at salvaging this??
D9651185-1822-4A63-9416-8DB4C946CD54.jpeg

It has to do with sanatation, if you had it before and didn't sanatized properly you you'll get it back the acholo can't control it.
You can try simmering the wine. Over low heat,then clean everything that comes in contact with your process, and start over.
Or dump it.

If there's visible mold on top, then I'm sure there are mold spores throughout the wine. Personally, I wouldn't want to drink it. Although most of us use open fermentation rather than fermenting under an airlock, I've read that using an open top covered with cheesecloth, etc. is one way mold spores can get into the wine and result in mold problems later in the process.

Back