Mold on primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbabobob

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings,
Looking for some insight from folks with experience. I would not say I’m a novice nor expert, lots of kit batches and a few years of from grapes.

Issue I’m having is I started a Petite Sirah Mosti Mondiale kit (sterile pure juice) a few days ago and it developed surface mold within 48 hours.

OG was 1.100, now at about 60 hours SG is 1.090 and actively going.

I removed the surface mold but my question is do you think the batch is toast or ride it out to see what happens.

As it relates to sanitation, I am fastidious and have never had spoilage, not saying it couldn’t happen just never has yet.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks

Greetings,
Looking for some insight from folks with experience. I would not say I’m a novice nor expert, lots of kit batches and a few years of from grapes.

Issue I’m having is I started a Petite Sirah Mosti Mondiale kit (sterile pure juice) a few days ago and it developed surface mold within 48 hours.

OG was 1.100, now at about 60 hours SG is 1.090 and actively going.

I removed the surface mold but my question is do you think the batch is toast or ride it out to see what happens.

As it relates to sanitation, I am fastidious and have never had spoilage, not saying it couldn’t happen just never has yet.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks

I’d clean it off of the top and snap the lid on with an airlock, get it into a carboy at 1.010, then get it sulfited quickly upon completion of AF. You sure it’s mold and not protein or yeasty sludge?

Latest posts

Back