Mold on oak barrel bung

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gael

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, My oak bungs started molding. It’s a white mold. I washed them with PBW and then put them in a bath of citric acid and potassium sulfite. Still it does not seem to kill the mold. Any ideas?

Toss em and buy synthetic? Seriously, are you sure that it isn’t dead and you are seeing the leftovers? You hit it pretty hard.

I guess the next thing would be to boil them, 20 minutes at 100C is supposed to kill most anything. The problems with molds is they grow from spores that can be really tough. Oak is porus, so spores could hide easily. Did it spread to the bungholes? Or just on the outside. I have seen bungs in Europe covered in mold on the outside, wet cellars. Didn’t seem to worry anyone.

Sorry, mostly random thoughts.

Thanks! I am pretty sure it’s still alive so will resort to the boiling.
There is some mold on the bunholes but it is very manageable.
Love the comment about the Europeans not giving a crap about some mold on the bungs (European myself) :)

I guess the next thing would be to boil them, 20 minutes at 100C is supposed to kill most anything.

You could try heating it in oven too. Say at 120'C for 20min. The boiling may swell the wood and make it harder to fit back in the bunghole.

Or get a synthetic one as suggested. They seem to fit very well and come out easier than the wooden ones.

Back