Mold on Fruit pulp

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Joe Bopes

Junior
Joined
Oct 7, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have made 16 carboys of wine over the past 3 years from local fruit. I was letting some Rhubarb sit in a bucket to let out the juice and after 3 days noticed a little mold on the fruit. This has never happened before to me. Does anyone know if it is still usable? I would think after taking out the pulp and adding yeast the alcohol, (and campden tabs) that forms may kill any mold residue in the juice?
 

Sacalait

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
804
Reaction score
8
It happened to me this year for the first time. Waiting to pitch the yeast to allow the skins soak is not the way to go for the area I live in ie, high humidity and elevated temps. The alcohol and K-meta seem to have taken care of the problem.
 

Luc

Dutch Winemaker
Joined
Nov 5, 2006
Messages
1,615
Reaction score
40
You may save the batch, however mold already may have imparted off flavors........ You do not know what has already mixed into the juice.....

No matter what everyone else says, personally I would
toss the batch out.
You are basically playing with food here, so be carefull with
your health.

Luc
 

Latest posts

Top