Mold on Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gael

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
In October I started a fresh batch of Cab Sauv and Merlot from Italy (juice). Both fermented fully, I oaked them with staves and have been bulk aging them for a few months now. I have not overdone it on the sulfite front.
I tend to think I work clean, always use 1-step with all the equipment that I use, but have seen today that both of them have a bit of what I would call mold on the surface. I racked that off and tasted the wine and it looks to be good. I added 1/4 tsp of sodium metabisulfite just to be sure.
Is there anything else that you would recommend that I do? Maybe rack it into a clean carboy?

Thanks for the advice.
Gael

Hi,
In October I started a fresh batch of Cab Sauv and Merlot from Italy (juice). Both fermented fully, I oaked them with staves and have been bulk aging them for a few months now. I have not overdone it on the sulfite front.
I tend to think I work clean, always use 1-step with all the equipment that I use, but have seen today that both of them have a bit of what I would call mold on the surface. I racked that off and tasted the wine and it looks to be good. I added 1/4 tsp of sodium metabisulfite just to be sure.
Is there anything else that you would recommend that I do? Maybe rack it into a clean carboy?

Thanks for the advice.
Gael

You pretty much took the correct action, except using sodium metabisulfite instead of potassium metabisulfite. Sodium is ok for sanitizing, but can add funky tastes to your wine.

Back