Mold in wine kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all I have tried to read a few forums on here and see different t results and suggestions. So wanted to try my ow for answers. I bought 2 kits and started mixing and waiting (been about 2 years since I've made wine) I mixed on Saturday then got swamped with work and never checked on them. Went today to rack to glass batboy for second stage and noticed mold on the foam at the top. I believe my kids messed with the airlocks and didnt notice since I was too busy. Is this ruined now or can it be saved. If so how.... I assume its ruined which sucks but worth a shot asking

Attachments

• 20190611_184102.jpg
    20190611_184102.jpg
    814.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20190611_184056.jpg
    20190611_184056.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • 20190611_184048.jpg
    20190611_184048.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • 20190611_184028.jpg
    20190611_184028.jpg
    747.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190611_184023.jpg
    20190611_184023.jpg
    843.4 KB · Views: 51
I'm sure that's what the foam is since it's happened before but now it looks as if mold is on the tops and especially with the red its green colored

As for the yeast I do not know since it was not the normal for the box. They have started to add packages of unmarked yeast to the list here. Something about gravity not working or some bologna like that

I agree it looks bad. However, color me confused. You say you mixed this on Saturday, as in, 3 days ago???? I find it hard to believe it has reached this stage in 3 days.

No sorry I ment last Saturday. Was supposed to rack it this t saturday but got busy then had time today and saw this mess.

IMHO, even 10 days seems hard to believe that mold has formed. But to answer your question, it’s worth racking, leaving the “mold” behind. I would smell and taste a sample after it’s been racked. You never know, it might be fine.

I have to say, I've never seen anything quite like that. The only time I've seen surface mold was on a batch that didn't start fermenting right away, the mold formed first then fermentation started. I agree with the above, rack off the mold and see what you've got.

Hello all I have tried to read a few forums on here and see different t results and suggestions. So wanted to try my ow for answers. I bought 2 kits and started mixing and waiting (been about 2 years since I've made wine) I mixed on Saturday then got swamped with work and never checked on them. Went today to rack to glass batboy for second stage and noticed mold on the foam at the top. I believe my kids messed with the airlocks and didnt notice since I was too busy. Is this ruined now or can it be saved. If so how.... I assume its ruined which sucks but worth a shot asking

What brand kit is that? It seems very strange to me that any kit manufacturer would add unidentified yeast to the kit.

Back