- Feb 1, 2019
- Reaction score
I found a couple mold spots at the bottom of my carboy when I went to clean it. Is it ruined or can I rense with bleach?
I (and most folks in winemaking) do not use bleach on anything that will come in contact with wine or winemaking equipment. Bleach is known to play a part in TCA infection, AKA: cork taint, which will ruin wine completely.I found a couple mold spots at the bottom of my carboy when I went to clean it. Is it ruined or can I rense with bleach?
I'd suggest rinsing with a tartaric (or citric) acid solution instead of K-meta: it will neutralize any high pH residue from the oxiclean (sodium percarbonate) cleaning solutionWhile some warn against it, I use scent-free Oxiclean, splash it around the inside of the carboy and let it set for an hour, agitating it every 10 minutes. Then use the brush again to ensure all spots are gone. Then rinse with K-meta.