Mmmm... To damn sweet... Paklabs Black cherry merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyL

Reaction score
Ok, so had to test... Glad I did... Supposed to be bottling next week - followed the paklab directions (other than an extra rack).

Anyway - after the fpak - it's way too sweet; it finished primary fermenting fast - but was down to 0.98 before moving onto secondary- consulted paklabs - they said move on - don't worry about the timeframe - just follow the SG numbers instead of the timeframe...

We're sitting at 12% - but it's definitely too sweet for our tastes...

Should I introduce some yeast and give it a few days to use up some of the sugars? Then k-sorbate and clear again?

If you've already added sorbate you will have some problems getting it to ferment again. I think your gonna need to do some bench tests. Try diluting it, or adding vodka see if the extra alcohol might help cover the sweetness. You can bottle it and see if the sweet balances out over time; if not give it away as gifts. When backsweetening it's always best to adjust for your own pallet.

I've only made two of these "summer time" types of sweet wines. The first was so sweet we've given most of it away or made sangria out of it. The second we took advise from this forum and indroduced half of the f-pack into primary fermentation and the second half to back sweeten....we just did this the other day so I haven't tested it yet.

There's two problems with your thought of adding yeast at this point. First, you've already sorbated as Torch said which will make inhospitipal to yeast. Secondly sorbate isn't great at stopping a ferentation in its tracks and it'll possibly ferment out further than you want.

In other words, sorbate works best to prevent a wine from refermenting once you add new fermentables.

i think gm is onto sometime with the sangria...soak some fruit in brandy pour that lovely sweet wine on top, add any other kinds of juice u like and some sprite or gingerale and break out the ice!!!!

As Torchsaid, you have probably already added sorbate, so it's very unlikely to ferment further. The wine sounds like it "as expected" (although 12% sounds high - did you add extra sugars?). BTW, if you hadn't added sorbate, it would probably be already fermenting.

The Sangria idea is good, but here's what I would do...bottle (or jug) it, refrigerate, make ice, get some club soda (or 7UP or ...), schedule a nice summer party, and watch it disappear. Unless your friends are wine connoisseurs they will probably love it.

You could also make a punch with sweet black cherry wine, dry red wine, ice cubes, and cherries.

Steve

schedule a nice summer party, and watch it disappear. Unless your friends are wine connoisseurs they will probably love it.

You could also make a punch with sweet black cherry wine, dry red wine, ice cubes, and cherries.

Steve

this is what we did last night...
and ur punch sounds delish....

12% is high - 19L vs 23 to start :) Which is probably why the fpack made it too sweet in the end... Have to keep that in mind for next time.

Testing tonight... Bottling tommorrow... Added two bottles of yellowtail merlot (they were on sale... Almost cheap like SP :D ) Much better!

Latest posts

Back