MM wine kit extended maceration

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillShill

Reaction score
First try at extended maceration in an attempt to produce red wine that I want to drink not that I have to drink because it clutters my spare room, I started ferment on the 24th July with Mosti Mondiale Vinifera Malbec with the addition of their 4KG grape pack, I got concerned about vigorous ferment early as my 30 litre bucket was filling up quickly , I stirred twice daily for two weeks and it never became an issue. After two weeks fermentation finished and to make sure of air tightness I sealed the bucket with electrical tape and it worked as airlock sucked water in if I moved at all, I continue to swish to hydrate the grapes daily, after 5 1/2 weeks, Monday 31st August I transferred into my pet carboy successfully and was happy how clear my wine was, I added the sulphites pack and later degassed for quite a while , the next day I degassed again and was surprised at still how much co2 was escaping.
As I’m ageing for six months I’m hoping it’ll degas naturally, It’s now a week later and the wine is slightly cloudy and there is a slight amount of sediment on the base of carboy, I haven’t used any Chitosan or Kieselsol yet as I was intending on letting it clear with time .

So I’m at the nervous stage , I planned leaving for a month before racking and no clearing and after six months transfer to my oak barrel, but I’m contemplating bentonite , Chitosan and Kieselsol, any extended maceration veterans out there with any calming words , thanks

With all the stirring from degassing you will get some cloudiness. It will settle with more time. I did something similar this winter (different kit but used the 4KG grape pack). After EM and sulphites I let it sit a couple days to settle any solids racked it and let it sit for i believe 3 months. I racked it then (close to clear at this point) degassed a bit as these kits have so much CO2 bound up. Repeated till I aged the wine for about 10 months. Would have aged it longer but I need the space for this fall.
long story short, it will eventually clear.

A couple things from my experience having made dozens of kits and employed EM with most of them:

1. Less is more as it pertains to adjuncts. You don’t need bentonite, Chitosan, Kieselsol, or sorbate (as long as you’re not back sweetening). Replace the afore list with time. No need to mechanically degas either. Time...

2. I have successfully gone 10 weeks with skins on the must during EM. You have to keep the environment air tight. If you cannot do that you cannot do a EM.

3. I age in a carboy for a minimum of 12 months before confining the wine to a barrel. When in barrel, make sure you‘re disciplined to keep topped up and check your S02 levels and add KMeta appropriately.

Sounds like you’re past the EM stage on your wine. Don’t be nervous. Wine wants to be wine and is very forgiving. But that too has a limit...

A couple things from my experience having made dozens of kits and employed EM with most of them:

1. Less is more as it pertains to adjuncts. You don’t need bentonite, Chitosan, Kieselsol, or sorbate (as long as you’re not back sweetening). Replace the afore list with time. No need to mechanically degas either. Time...

2. I have successfully gone 10 weeks with skins on the must during EM. You have to keep the environment air tight. If you cannot do that you cannot do a EM.

3. I age in a carboy for a minimum of 12 months before confining the wine to a barrel. When in barrel, make sure you‘re disciplined to keep topped up and check your S02 levels and add KMeta appropriately.

Sounds like you’re past the EM stage on your wine. Don’t be nervous. Wine wants to be wine and is very forgiving. But that too has a limit...
Newbie here, how do I check so2 levels, kmeta isn’t something I can get , I have campden tablets will they work

Newbie here, how do I check so2 levels, kmeta isn’t something I can get , I have campden tablets will they work
campden tablets are k-meta. K-meta is short for potassium meta bisulphite, most use the powder but the tablets will work just fine.

Question: Is there a guide or article somewhere that gives you the exact procedures to follow to perform an EM on red wines? I just purchased a cab kit w/skins and want to try it, but don’t want to mess it up. Thanks

Thanks for your quick reply. I guess I’m wondering how often he punched the cap and when do you stop punching it. I no longer have precise control of my fermentation and I’m wondering if that’s an issue too with temperature. I had to stop using my mini-freezer for fermentation and started to actually keep food in there. Made my wife happy though! This is only my fourth kit and first with skins. So I’m wondering if I should just stick with the instructions, but his videos intrigue the hell out of me. Thanks

Thanks for your quick reply. I guess I’m wondering how often he punched the cap and when do you stop punching it. I no longer have precise control of my fermentation and I’m wondering if that’s an issue too with temperature. I had to stop using my mini-freezer for fermentation and started to actually keep food in there. Made my wife happy though! This is only my fourth kit and first with skins. So I’m wondering if I should just stick with the instructions, but his videos intrigue the hell out of me. Thanks
You do have ‘precise’ control of your fermentation. EM begins after fermentation. Once your must goes dry, close it up and leave it alone for a matter of 2 extra weeks or 10. If you cannot guarantee a sealed environment, don’t do a EM.

You do have ‘precise’ control of your fermentation. EM begins after fermentation. Once your must goes dry, close it up and leave it alone for a matter of 2 extra weeks or 10. If you cannot guarantee a sealed environment, don’t do an EM
You do have ‘precise’ control of your fermentation. EM begins after fermentation. Once your must goes dry, close it up and leave it alone for a matter of 2 extra weeks or 10. If you cannot guarantee a sealed environment, don’t do a EM.
Thanks, I meant my fermentation temperature. But I’m going to give it a shot. Thanks again for your help

I use a Fermonster for EM, usually by about day 5 fermentation has slowed enough that I can screw down the lid, and after that I rock back and forth to keep the skins wet. I typically free float my skins, others who use a bag will add weight to the bag to keep it submerged.

So I gave in and stole a wee taste of my wine, haven’t tasted it bar licking stirring spoon since fermentation started on 24th of July, and my wife who has hated all the reds I’ve made really liked it , now it’s my first with skins and Extended Maceration and time and some more time , it’s a long way off where I’m taking it too but it’s so encouraging to have a wine kit that tastes like shop bought wine .

Latest posts

Back