MLFing for the first time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siwash

Reaction score
Hey folks,

Will finally try an MLF on my reds... I have a copy of MoreWInes which gives clear and excellent instruction. However I have no idea which malolactic bacteria to buy and how much.. any help? I am making sangiovese/merlot (or Cab Sauv)

thanks!!

Just ordered some BM 4x4 and since came across info that states its MLF compatibility is "below average"

What does this mean????

A pH meter is handy as it gives some idea if your mlf is still going on, but not essential. As for tha BM comment, I hope not cause that is what I'm planning for this year:?

Some yeast generate higher levels of SO2 than others. I believe this is what is driving their incompatibility. If you can keep an accurate measure of your free SO2, then you will know that your wine is being protected and when it is safe to start mlf. As I said in a different thread, there is no inexpensive way to do this, and you need to buy a meter for a couple $100s.

Some yeast generate higher levels of SO2 than others. I believe this is what is driving their incompatibility. If you can keep an accurate measure of your free SO2, then you will know that your wine is being protected and when it is safe to start mlf. As I said in a different thread, there is no inexpensive way to do this, and you need to buy a meter for a couple $100s.

From what I've read, you need to wait about 24 to 48 hours to pitch the MLB if co-inoculating with yeasts like BM 4x4 or BM 45.

i am about to buy a PH meter (Milwaukee 102) which is going to cost me over $100. I am willing to buy an instrument to measure So2 but I don't know if "a couple $100s" is in my budget this fall, unfortunately... I guess I can chance it and wait the full 48 hours +/- and hope the free So2 has subsided to below dangerous levels for MLB.

I think the co-inoculation works because the yeast and the bacteria colonies grow at the same time, in sufficient quantities to survive the high SO2 environment. Opposed to waiting till the end of fermentation where the high level of SO2 would prevent the mlf from getting going.

I was wanting to do co-inoculation on the wines I started this weekend, but apparently it's too hard for someone one at MoreWine to do their job RIGHT and place the Bacteria in the package with the rest of the order I placed. But they didn't forget to charge me for it. :( Not only am I :m, I'm:pee off.

So thanks Murphy your Law has struck me again!

Latest posts

Back