MLF?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Nesmith

Reaction score
How important is it to MLF a red wine? I have been reading a lot about doing it but am having trouble finding information on exactly how to do it. From what I have read it is too late for my Cab Sauvignon because I added Kmeta when I racked it over. My Merlot will be finishing fermentation soon and was wondering if I need to MLF it.

You are going to get a ton of information but I'll tell you what a hobby/professional winemaker (winemaker at a reputable commercial winery) told me. "I don't worry about MLF. It probably happens. I was told by an old winemaker that the most important piece of equipment is your nose."

I don't think it is important at all in kits and I believe it can take place at any point; through inoculation or spontaneously.

I'll second what @sour_grapes said, you don't want MLF to take place in your kit wines, purposely, spontaneously, or otherwise. Unless you are using MLB for grape wines in your wine production area, it's unlikely that it will occur on its own, and a good sulfite protocol insures that there is nearly no chance for it to take hold in your kit wines...

Latest posts

Back