Mlf

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob

Reaction score
How long does MLF last and when do you know it is done?

It can last up to 3 months depending on temps, if you added mlf nutrient, and what the specifics of your wine was like as in PH and ta cause these factors can slow down MLF just like they can throw off a standard fermentation. You can find out if its done by doing a chromatagraphy test.

wow right when I think I am starting to understand wine making you come with a word like that.
what is CHROMATAGRAPHY

Thanks Rock
I bought a frozen bucket of grapes, suv. blanc, they said if I wanted to I could do a mlf but did not need to
what do you think?

Paper chromatagraphy is a test kit to test completion of mlf.Go to www.morewinemaking.com

You can also opt to purchase an Accuvin Malic Acid Test Kit to test when MLF has completed. It's less expensive than chromatography if you only test occasionally.

Fred

Im not a white wine maker only reds but do help making whites with my brothers.I would only ml a chard. unless you do a fume blanc.

I would not do MLF on a Sauve Blanc! I would do it on a Cab Sauve or Chard!!!!

surlees, how does that test work and how much will it cost?

Rob,

This is one source for the malic acid test kit: http://www.finevinewines.com/Home-Wine-Making-Equipment-Testing.asp

It works very simply by drawing out a small wine sample into a plastic sqeeze tube. The sample is applied to a test strip and after 4 minutes the color is compared to a color chart. Much like pH strips, but none of the problems inherent with reading pH strips because the colors are completely different than wine color.

Fred

Latest posts

Back